What to do in the off year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STRX8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I possibly may not be accepted this year and was wondering what I should do before applying again. My gpa is 3.1 at my undergraduate university, but a little higher with summer courses from another university. My MCAT was 30M. I have quite a bit of shadowing and clinical experience but no research experience. My question is should I do a post bacc program, take courses at another university, get another degree, get a job in a clinic or hospital, volunteer, etc. Also, the only improvement in my application from this cycle to the one starting in June would be my grades. Should I reapply this year or wait until next June. I know this is a brief synopsis, but what, in your opinions, would be the best path to take? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you take classes, get a masters. If you don't, consider medical mission work.

Your grades are a bit too low. I would not reapply and would look into getting an SMP if you can afford it. You may want to just apply DO, but I do not think you'll make it in an MD school with the current grades.

You've mentioned you have a lot of clinical experience, so I would not spend the off year doing more clinical things while neglecting improving your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posts. Your GPA is below the average, yet your MCAT is competitive. I think you'll need a fresh start which can be acheived with a master's program. Alot of people choose this option and get into medical school within a year. Boston University and the University of South Florida have reputable bridge programs- you may want to look into these.

Good luck! :luck:

Thanks for the responses. My gpa is low because I'm a double engineering major and it took a little while to get used to the work load. The first few years were kind of rough. What are your feelings on getting a job in a medical field in addition to taking classes at a local university? Also, would you advise retaking some of the prerequisite classes or more advanced ones? Thanks.

I agree with the above posts. Your GPA is below the average, yet your MCAT is competitive. I think you'll need a fresh start which can be acheived with a master's program. Alot of people choose this option and get into medical school within a year. Boston University and the University of South Florida have reputable bridge programs- you may want to look into these.

Good luck! :luck:

Oh the Hypocrisy of med school admissions.:smuggrin:

Here's a quick question:
Was there an upward trend after you figured it out? If there is a clear and distinct trend, then that's something completely different. I would call a school you're interested in and ask what they think. Get the answer from the horses mouth.

Unfortunately a Masters wouldnt be counted into your undergrad GPA, so i would do either Post Bacc classses or just appy DO. Im not sure how an SMP works maybe it is different then a traditional masters.

what is an SMP?:idea:

What are your UG gpas. overall and BCPM including your new grades?
You want both of these to be around 3.5 to be competitive.

Have you applied to any DO schools? You might have a better shot there if you are interested.

Well, I am currently an applicant to 13 schools and I only got invited for 3 interviews. They were UMDNJ-NJMS (Jan. 7 interview), Creighton (Feb.1 interview, waitlisted on Feb. 19), and UMDNJ-RWJMS (Feb. 21 interview). I have the following profile characteristics:

Biology and Psychology Double Major from Fairfield University in CT
Overall Cumulative GPA: 3.90
Cumulative BCPM GPA: 3.93

MCAT (1st time): 9 PS, 8 VR, 11 BS, P on WR for a 28P
MCAT (2nd time): 12 PS, 9 VR, 8 BS, R on WR for a 29R

Extracurriculars/Awards/Experiences:
Academic Dean's List at my undergraduate institution for every semester
eligible
Alpha Epsilon Delta (Pre-Med National Honor Society)
Alpha Sigma Nu (Jesuit National Honor Society)
Emergency Department Clinical Research Associate at St. Vincent's Medical
Center on Prostate Cancer Screening
Academic Recognition Reception for AHANA (Multicultural) Students
First Year Experience (FYE) Program Facilitator for Freshmen at my
undergraduate institution
Chemistry Tutor at my undergrad
Student Internship in a Cardiothoracic Surgery Dept at a heart and lung
center
Student Government (served as a general committee member, director of
publicity, and as Secretary of Academics on the Executive Board)
Tour Guide for undergraduate admissions office
Nursing Home Dietary Aide
Knight of Columbus for my home Catholic parish
Psi Chi (Psychology National Honor Society)
Phi Beta Kappa (considered the most prestigious National Honor Society)

Questions that I have are what are my chances to get accepted into the other two UMDNJ schools as a NJ applicant? How do the three schools mentioned handle multiple MCAT scores? Are my interview dates too late in the process (Jan and Feb interviews) to merit an acceptance, despite the fact that especially at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, there is a applicant backlog of interviews still? I welcome all thoughts!! I may have posted this in another thread, but if you guys don't think I will make it, what should I do in my year-off? I prefer not to do this and get in now, but I can use some good advice on how to make my application better if need be.

I need to decide what to do in my year off. I have a 30 MCAT, and 3.68 GPA double majoring in chemistry and biology. I have taken alot of high level science courses during the undergraduate years. I have done research during two years in college and have clinical experience as an EMT. I would do a masters, but most of the ones I want are for two years. Are the special masters accelerated one year programs worthwhile since they seem to be quite condensed and expensive? What would you suggest?

Last edited:
SMP....you might not even get past the screens with that undergrad GPA.....

I possibly may not be accepted this year and was wondering what I should do before applying again. My gpa is 3.1 at my undergraduate university, but a little higher with summer courses from another university. My MCAT was 30M. I have quite a bit of shadowing and clinical experience but no research experience. My question is should I do a post bacc program, take courses at another university, get another degree, get a job in a clinic or hospital, volunteer, etc. Also, the only improvement in my application from this cycle to the one starting in June would be my grades. Should I reapply this year or wait until next June. I know this is a brief synopsis, but what, in your opinions, would be the best path to take? Thanks.

If I were you, I'd try my luck applying but also consider getting into a post bacc program. :)

get a masters maybe, make some cash, travel

Marginal GPA-> postbac (is your science GPA even lower?). You can spend free time building on clinical or extracurricular experience if you don't want to feel like your wasting your time.