What to do in your year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qkx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Research? Volunteer? going abroad to travel?

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, what you do with your year off should depend on your application. If you have any weak spots, I would use the year off to work on those areas. For example, I felt like clinical exposure was my weakest area so I am spending my year off working in a clinical setting.

I'm facing a similar feeling of indecision... I graduate in December, and plan to take at least January off, but beyond that I'm a bit lost. While I'm tempted to declare myself on an eight month vacation, I know a few weeks in I'm going to start getting stir-crazy.

A lot of people (physician friends) are telling me not to do anything medical whatsoever; that this is the last chance I'm going to get for awhile to do whatever I want, and that I should enjoy it any and every way I can.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would continue to work/volunteer. It's a common question during our interviews and applicants that opt to do nothing or something pretty lame always gets the cockeyed stare from the adcom members

I decided to do clinical research in a major hospital in the city I grew up. If it's something in which you are remotely interested, I would highly recommend it. If not for the money, then for the connections you make, the experience you gain, and the material it provides you to talk about in an interview setting.

It's worked for me so far...

I work in clinical research now and absolutely love it. It only served to further solidify my passion for medicine (as well as research), pays fairly well (if you have some experience) and I love spending time with all of my patients in my studies and trials.

I was a waiter in a Thai restaurant and also a construction worker during my two gap years. It worked for me. So if you love Thai food, be a waiter. If you like building things and toiling outdoors, be a construction worker and you can whistle at women when they walk by. They will be annoyed but also flattered.

1) If you do have a weak spot (no research, not enough clinical experience, etc.), fix it.
2) If your application is solid, do something you love. I'm working with inner-city kids and it's amazing. Plus, it made for a really passionate personal statement and some creative interview answers.

A lot of people (physician friends) are telling me not to do anything medical whatsoever; that this is the last chance I'm going to get for awhile to do whatever I want, and that I should enjoy it any and every way I can.

Thoughts?

I am not so sure about this. It may just be because I'm from Colorado, and many people like to become ski bums after they graduate. But a former adcom from CU med school explicitly told me that if you become a ski bum on your year off, you won't get in.

That may just be an extreme example. But you WILL be asked what you are doing on your year off, and if you say nothing, it won't look good. They will ask you what you learned from your year off, whether you do something medical or not. So, have a good answer.

Do something you enjoy, but you may want to keep up on some medical volunteering.

And addressing weak spots is probably the best advice.

Thoughts?

If your application is in to AMCAS, don't do anything. If your app is pretty go re: volunteering & research type stuff, don't do anything. Mostly, don't do anything.

I had a gap year between my post-bac classes finishing and med school. I applied right as my classes ended. The year in between I worked. No one asked me what I was doing for that year. I don't think it even occurred to them that I was out of school and working full-time.

Once AMCAS is submitted, your life kinda goes on status. Make sure you're around for the interviews, but don't sweat what you're doing while they occur. If you can mooch of the rents for a few months, have at it. If you get bored, enjoy the feeling and pick up a nice hobby.