1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What to do...my job supervisor will not give a recommendation

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pyra, May 6, 2004.

1. pyra

pyra Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I recently interviewed for a research job and I listed my current supervisor as a reference after asking her permission. She did agree but she said it was hospital policy to not give a recommendation and she can only verify that I have worked there. Well I thought I had no other choice.
    Now that I think about it, I could have listed a person who is also my supervisor but works under the first person mentioned. How should I tell the job that I am interviewing for about this replacement reference? Should I just write something like "For an additional reference please call..." in the post interview thank you letter?

Thanks so much for the advice, I really need this job!

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yeah that sounds good.
    if you want you can even explain the situation as well about the hospital policy.

4. velouria

velouria Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it. A *ton* if of places have that policy. I think it sets them up for lawsuits if they say bad things about you ;)
    It shouldn't come as any surprise to your future employer.
    Good luck with the job!