What to do next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Onthefence38

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently a sophomore at a top 20 undergrad university. I just finished my fall semester and was hit with a reality check. Up till now, I've been doing okay in all of my pre-med courses:
Chem I&II A-/A-
Bio I&II A/A-
Calc II/III A/B
Other courses As with one B+
I took orgo I this past semester, and got a D+ and a B+ in lab.

I realize that this is extremely bad and has greatly diminished my chances, but there are some legitimate reasons for this. I thought I could do more than I did freshman year, and took 19 credits plus 12 hours of research per week. I know having hard classes is no excuse, but I think it had an effect by reducing the time I could spend on the class. I feel that if I had more time to spend on orgo, I could have made a better grade. I don't think it's a lack of ability, but rather a lack of time.

Regardless, this grade has led me to seriously reexamine what my future plans are, as it should. I am currently an econ minor, so I was wondering if I should switch to it as a major?

If I do decide to stay on the pre-med path, I would lighten my courses next semester and focus the vast majority of my time on Orgo 2, then retake Orgo 1 fall of my junior year.

The question is, then, is it worth it with the hit I've taken to stay pre-med, or should I cut my losses immediately and focus on Econ?

Members don't see this ad.

Retake it and get an A. Don't receive anymore grades below a B. Get a solid mcat score, volunteering, LORs...the usual. Orgo is used as a measuring stick for admissions but if you're solid everywhere else and retake then you should be able to get interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I'm currently a sophomore at a top 20 undergrad university. I just finished my fall semester and was hit with a reality check. Up till now, I've been doing okay in all of my pre-med courses:
Chem I&II A-/A-
Bio I&II A/A-
Calc II/III A/B
Other courses As with one B+
I took orgo I this past semester, and got a D+ and a B+ in lab.

I realize that this is extremely bad and has greatly diminished my chances, but there are some legitimate reasons for this. I thought I could do more than I did freshman year, and took 19 credits plus 12 hours of research per week. I know having hard classes is no excuse, but I think it had an effect by reducing the time I could spend on the class. I feel that if I had more time to spend on orgo, I could have made a better grade. I don't think it's a lack of ability, but rather a lack of time.

Regardless, this grade has led me to seriously reexamine what my future plans are, as it should. I am currently an econ minor, so I was wondering if I should switch to it as a major?

If I do decide to stay on the pre-med path, I would lighten my courses next semester and focus the vast majority of my time on Orgo 2, then retake Orgo 1 fall of my junior year.

The question is, then, is it worth it with the hit I've taken to stay pre-med, or should I cut my losses immediately and focus on Econ?

Since you made a D+ in Orgo 1, do you feel that you understand the material well enough to take Orgo 2. The material in Orgo 2 builds off from the material in Orgo 1, so if you have deficiencies there, they could continue to cause you further problems in Orgo 2.

What is your GPA right now?

My cGPA is a 3.6 right now with the D+. I think my sGPA is around a 3.25 or 3.3.
As for deficiencies, I know I obviously didn't learn the material as well as I should have, but I think the problem is more about lack of time than simply me not understanding the material. I plan on going back and doing more practice problems and relearning material over this break should I remain pre-med. I also signed up for less credits next semester in hopes of spending as much time as possible with Orgo. The thing is I just don't know if it's worth it right now given the grade in Orgo 1.

You tell me. Medicine is a calling.

The question is, then, is it worth it with the hit I've taken to stay pre-med, or should I cut my losses immediately and focus on Econ?[/quote]

You do need to make better choices, be better at time mgt. The plan below is fine.