Dec 26, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all,

I'm currently a sophomore at a top 20 undergrad university. I just finished my fall semester and was hit with a reality check. Up till now, I've been doing okay in all of my pre-med courses:
Chem I&II A-/A-
Bio I&II A/A-
Calc II/III A/B
Other courses As with one B+
I took orgo I this past semester, and got a D+ and a B+ in lab.

I realize that this is extremely bad and has greatly diminished my chances, but there are some legitimate reasons for this. I thought I could do more than I did freshman year, and took 19 credits plus 12 hours of research per week. I know having hard classes is no excuse, but I think it had an effect by reducing the time I could spend on the class. I feel that if I had more time to spend on orgo, I could have made a better grade. I don't think it's a lack of ability, but rather a lack of time.

Regardless, this grade has led me to seriously reexamine what my future plans are, as it should. I am currently an econ minor, so I was wondering if I should switch to it as a major?

If I do decide to stay on the pre-med path, I would lighten my courses next semester and focus the vast majority of my time on Orgo 2, then retake Orgo 1 fall of my junior year.

The question is, then, is it worth it with the hit I've taken to stay pre-med, or should I cut my losses immediately and focus on Econ?

May 23, 2012
In the mountains
Status
Medical Student
Retake it and get an A. Don't receive anymore grades below a B. Get a solid mcat score, volunteering, LORs...the usual. Orgo is used as a measuring stick for admissions but if you're solid everywhere else and retake then you should be able to get interviews.

chemguy79

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2006
Chapel Hill
Hi all,

I'm currently a sophomore at a top 20 undergrad university. I just finished my fall semester and was hit with a reality check. Up till now, I've been doing okay in all of my pre-med courses:
Chem I&II A-/A-
Bio I&II A/A-
Calc II/III A/B
Other courses As with one B+
I took orgo I this past semester, and got a D+ and a B+ in lab.

I realize that this is extremely bad and has greatly diminished my chances, but there are some legitimate reasons for this. I thought I could do more than I did freshman year, and took 19 credits plus 12 hours of research per week. I know having hard classes is no excuse, but I think it had an effect by reducing the time I could spend on the class. I feel that if I had more time to spend on orgo, I could have made a better grade. I don't think it's a lack of ability, but rather a lack of time.

Regardless, this grade has led me to seriously reexamine what my future plans are, as it should. I am currently an econ minor, so I was wondering if I should switch to it as a major?

If I do decide to stay on the pre-med path, I would lighten my courses next semester and focus the vast majority of my time on Orgo 2, then retake Orgo 1 fall of my junior year.

The question is, then, is it worth it with the hit I've taken to stay pre-med, or should I cut my losses immediately and focus on Econ?

Since you made a D+ in Orgo 1, do you feel that you understand the material well enough to take Orgo 2. The material in Orgo 2 builds off from the material in Orgo 1, so if you have deficiencies there, they could continue to cause you further problems in Orgo 2.

OP
O
Dec 26, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
My cGPA is a 3.6 right now with the D+. I think my sGPA is around a 3.25 or 3.3.
As for deficiencies, I know I obviously didn't learn the material as well as I should have, but I think the problem is more about lack of time than simply me not understanding the material. I plan on going back and doing more practice problems and relearning material over this break should I remain pre-med. I also signed up for less credits next semester in hopes of spending as much time as possible with Orgo. The thing is I just don't know if it's worth it right now given the grade in Orgo 1.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
You tell me. Medicine is a calling.

The question is, then, is it worth it with the hit I've taken to stay pre-med, or should I cut my losses immediately and focus on Econ?[/quote]

You do need to make better choices, be better at time mgt. The plan below is fine.