What to do next...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juneau2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for admission to the class of 2013, and while I felt I had a pretty strong application, I had to apply late and now it's the end of January and I have yet to hear from 15 schools. I have only had one interview invitation... so I've come to terms with the fact that I will probably have to reapply.

I have heard of some year-long educational programs that some people do if they don't get in but I don't know much about them. Are they Masters degrees or certificate programs? Does anyone know anything about these or where I can find more information?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied for admissions for the class of 2013, and while I felt I had a pretty strong application, I had to apply late and now it's the end of January and I have yet to hear from 15 schools. I have only had one interview invitation... so I've come to terms with the fact that I will probably have to reapply.

I have heard of some year-long educational programs that some people do if they don't get in but I don't know much about them. Are they Masters degrees or certificate programs? Does anyone know anything about these or where I can find more information?

Thanks!

I attend the University of Toledo College of Medicine, and I know we have an MSBS (Masters of Science in Biomedical Sciences) Program. If you are interested in research and medicine, it seems like a logical foot in the door. I don't know all the details of the program, but my classmates that went though it spoke well of it. You take 1/3 the first year med student courseload, and complete a Master's degree at the same time. Check it out below.

http://hsc.utoledo.edu/depts/radther/msbs.html

Many post-bac premed programs exist, but are largely intensive repeats of all your core science classes. Again, they are a good foot in the door in a competitive field.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a non traditional applicant, so I took the pre-med courses all in one year, which meant summer orgo, MCAT late August, and AMCAS app out in Sept. I was pretty punctual about secondaries, but by the time I got some of them, people I knew were already getting interviews.

And thanks for the Toledo link!

you should only consider more school if your academics are lacking otherwise you'll be best served by focusing on the aspects of your application that need work whether it is the MCAT or ECs or clinical experience etc. Those MS decrees are basically useless (as a degree) after you finish med school and are equally useless if you don't end up getting in... they are also usually expensive so be careful.