What to do now for the boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wrote this for my schools survival guide which is being mailed out soon and I thought you guys might be interested in it. Now, knowing SDN I know people will immidiately say "that's not how you should do it", etc, etc. You people are wrong.

Hi. My name is Jalby, I?m an MS II (almost MSIII) and currently 37 days away from my board exams. By the time you get this you will have about 747 days til your board exams, so you might want to start studying. I?m just kidding. Sort of.

As you know, this is the most important test you have taken in your life. I?m sure you have heard that one before (SAT, MCAT, etc, etc) but this time we mean it. But don?t stress out about it now. You will have plenty of time to do that later. What I wanted to do is provide you with some tips of what you should and shouldn?t do over the next two years in order to prepare yourself.

Over the next two years, you will have three types of main tests. System tests, Year End Cumulative tests, and the USMLE test. You will have the systems test every 5-10 weeks, yearly tests every year (duh) and one board exam at the end of two years. These tests are obviously in increasing order of importance. What has happened to some of my classmates is that they only worry about the next test, without looking towards the future. So at the end of the year, they only remember the last system. And right now they haven?t touched first year since first year.

Here is some things that myself and others have done to make our lives easier and be more efficient. There are two books that most people use to study for the boards. First Aid for the Boards, and Step-Up for the boards. I would recommend buying both of these books when you start medical school. They contain the most useful information for the boards and you should get used to them. The differences between the two is that First Aid is set up by disciplines (Path, Pharm, etc, etc) while Step up is systems (like our curriculum. Heme, Nuero, etc, etc) As you go through each system, you should be studying from these books along with your notes (or in some cases instead of your notes) and whenever you see something you think is important, write it in the sidelines of these books.

The importance of doing this will be shown at the end of the year and when you start studying for boards. You have one week to study for the year one comprehensive, and a lot of people didn?t have time to look through all of their class notes. Having one source to read through makes life a lot easier. And when you get to the board exam, you will have to know everything in these books, so it makes more sense to memorize that as you go along (this also will help you figure out what is the most important things for the system tests, too)

Three other books that are absolutely must haves for the boards and books you should buy now and use every chance you get is BRS Pathology, BRS Physiology, and Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple. Ask any current third or fourth year and every single person bought and used this books extensively. (In the back of first aid, they have every review book and ratings that students give the book. These are by far the best rated in their fields)

There also is some other books that I would recommend, but not everybody uses for board studying. Again, these are books you should buy and use along with class so that you know them quite well by the time it rolls around to studying for the boards. About half of my class purchased High Yield Nueroanatomy, a book that isn?t as in depth as what you need to know for school, but only what is needed for the boards. I would also recommend BRS Behavioral Science. This is the only subject that our school scored under the national average, in part because it isn?t taught to much in our curriculum, so study this book well and know that it is the place where you can get the most points.
For Pharmacology and Biochemistry, there isn?t any really good books out there that you should definitely use. The Lippincotts Biochem and Lippencotts Pharm are very good books, but also very long and you need to put a lot of effort into them during the year.

Now, for those of you flash card lovers out there, there is a bunch of good flash cards that contain all the information you need to know, and then a whole lot more. These cards are MircoCrads, PharmCards, and PathCards. DO NOT BUY THE BRS CARDS!!!! These cards are great in that they contain all of the information you need to know on every drug, etc that they cover. I especially love the path cards. I?m not very artistic, so having these cards pre-made for me helped me a ton. I just highlighted the most important things, and read away.

Now that you have been completely bored to death (or maybe scared) with my books/cards selection, I have some great news for you guys. You have a TON of time to study for all of this. Even if you don?t start worry about the boards at all, you finish with all new material in Mid March, and don?t have to start third year until early July. This gives you 100+ days to study for the boards. (integrated cases is about 60-70% board review. Heck, the required book is First Aid) This is a whole lot more time than any other school normally gives (and probably the biggest reason our board scores jumped 5 points with the new curriculum)

So my last piece of advice is review old stuff when you can. Over summer, Christmas, etc, etc, take a day or two and read through your First Aid or Step Up, just to refresh your brain on all of the stuff that has been pushed out. If you do all of this it will make your life a lot easier 730 days from now when you are really studying hard for the boards.

Jalby, MS III

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
ahem. J a l b Y

Members don't see this ad :)
"that's not how you should do it"

Just kidding! Thanks for the advice. Do you think it is OK to use used First Aid and BRS books? I have a friend who just graduated and gave me a bunch of his old books.

u know what I am worrying about....i am worried that i can't find this post when i NEED it :D haha

thx Jalby, this post rocks :p

im excited...i dont know why, but i am.

someone slap me when you see me.

jlee9531 said:
im excited...i dont know why, but i am.

someone slap me when you see me.

slap slap
now turn other cheek!! :laugh:
LOL I'm excited too, cause I got those books listed, they are sitting on my desk untouched. Everyday i look at the cover and I smile, cause it reminds me that I'm goin to med schl :scared: :D

Someone asked for this post, soback up you go.

How much are we talking to buy all of those books and flashcards? I'm expecting some graduation money to come in - a couple thousand (yes, we do that in my family) and I'm probably going to buy these books before I buy furniture for my place...

Thanks for the good advice Jalby! That was really nice of you. Good luck on Step 1.

Hey Jalby,

Very good post, thank you. Do the citizens of SDN a favor though, when you get your step I scores please post them into this post. That way, when we start next year and are referencing this post, we'll be able to see your suggestions and that it helped you get > 250!

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
franklinthedog said:
Hey Jalby,

Very good post, thank you. Do the citizens of SDN a favor though, when you get your step I scores please post them into this post. That way, when we start next year and are referencing this post, we'll be able to see your suggestions and that it helped you get > 250!

Thanks again.

I have no doubt that he'll get the score he's after. You don't need this, but: :luck:

Thanks SC. On a side note, I have recieved confirmation on LLU's 230-231 average. Apparently it happened for the current third years and is the highest they have ever done by far.

Here is a PM I got. figured I'd answer it on here:

Hey Jalby

I have a question. I really really appreciated your post on how to study for the boards...and ive already started searching for books...but i had some questions...you said to get "First Aid for the Boards" but when I looked it up all I could find was "First Aid for the USMLE" . Is this the same thing?

Yup

Also, I want to get all the books you mentioned in the specific subjects...pathology, micro etc....does it matter if you don't have the most up to date one? For some of these all I could find was a 1994 edition...so I was just wondering if that made a differencve.

Don't get BRS micro. It's useless. Get Brs Path and Physio, both copyright 1999 or so. BRS Gross, I donno the date.

Could you be a little more specific about the books you used?? Oh and by the way, if you are selling your books, can I buy them? (Im sure you already have someone else lined up to buy them but I thought I'd ask anyway).

Sure. I'll be done with most of them in 16 days.

Do you mind posting the ISBN numbers of the books and cards?

Giving My .02 said:
Do you mind posting the ISBN numbers of the books and cards?

Yes, I actually do. That would take WAY to much time. But I'm sure everybody else would be greatfull if you do it for them.

Thanks for sharing this with the SDN community. You rock! :clap:
:luck:

As a current med student set to take the boards in a week, maybe i can offer some different advice. No offense to Jalby, but while many of the books that he mentioned are very good choices, you shouldn't just blindly start buying books now. I know many of you are neurotic premeds and will probably start spending your time off browsing thru books before med school starts but the reality is that your med school experience is likely going to be very different from someone elses. As for all the books that Jalby mentioned, the only one that you REALLY absolutely positively must have is First Aid which should be annotated throughout your first 2 years of med school. Everything else is personal preference. For me, I'm just using my class notes to study from for the boards. It doesn't make sense to have ten million study sources, you'll just drive yourself crazy! If you go to a good school, your classes will be comprehensive enough and restudying your notes will suffice. By the time boards comes around, you'll be adept enough to know what is high yield and what you can ignore. Medicine is all about repetition. The more you practice/memorize/see/experience, the more you'll remember. I recommend keeping the sources to a minimum and buying books at the appropriate times and if they'll be a useful supplement to your lectures. There's no reason for you all to start blindly buying 2nd year books at this moment. Enjoy your time off and if you don't get any good advice from students at your respective schools at which books best supplement your individual classes, then turn to this post. Otherwise, relax, enjoy your time off and accomplishment of getting into med school and don't buy any books now.

Thanks for all the advice. Definitely helpful. :D

i agree with bob on this. there's no need to worry about a thing. even buying first aid during first year is a questionable move, buying the first aid in the beginning of first year will mean that the first aid available during when you take the boards will be two editions newer.
buying the right books is a good idea, but there isn't a need to start studying for boards when you haven't learned anything yet in the first place. one of the worst things to do as a first year is to go nuts buying a bunch of books. talk to m2's, search sdn, take a look at the glossary of first aid (which has a student poll of the best books),--and you can always buy your books throughout the next two years and you won't need them all by the first day of school.

nuclearrabbit77 said:
i agree with bob on this. there's no need to worry about a thing. even buying first aid during first year is a questionable move, buying the first aid in the beginning of first year will mean that the first aid available during when you take the boards will be two editions newer.

I actually went ahead and bought First Aid and Step Up just so I have them and I'm used to them by the time the boards roll around. I got an older (2001) First Aid off Amazon for $5.00...word has it that the editions basically haven't changed except for the addition of a few pictures over the last few years, so given the price, I figure it's a good buy. I'll get new ones when the time rolls around, but in the meantime, I have something to annotate and help me summarize the material.

Now that I reread it all, everything I wrote still stands 36 days after I wrote it.

Jalby said:
Now that I reread it all, everything I wrote still stands 36 days after I wrote it.

the question is will you still say that 48 hours from now :)

exmike said:
the question is will you still say that 48 hours from now :)

I would guess 18-20 hours from now.

Oh man, Jalby, thank you so much for that link you have in your signature. I've been cooped up at home for five days post-surgery and I needed a good laugh.

(And, also- thanks for the original post!)

SarahGM said:
Oh man, Jalby, thank you so much for that link you have in your signature.

No problem.

Alright. Since the test, the only thing I would change is that Lippencotts Biochem has become a manditory book, and Lippencotts Pharm is off the list of books you need to buy.

Got this PM and figured I'd put it up here
anonymous said:
hi Jalby

congrats on finishing your step 1 , i've been following your posts throughout the years.. so i value your advice more than other ppl.. so, here are my questions... how did you study for your 2nd year materials and what would the 3 things that you would've done differently in preparing step1 .. thanks.. once again.. congrats on finishing step 1 and good luck in your clinical year

I actually answered that over on the thread you can find here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=130656