What to do now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smurf

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 21 and have been on my own for 2yrs. I work full time and I'm a full time student. I was unable to get a grant b/c my parents make too much money, and have some type of college education. My bf on the other hand got a $9,000 grant b/c his parents have no college education, but they make around the same as my parents do. Other than the millitary, what other options do I have? I will probably end up getting a loan, but I'm already $10,000 in debt. I have been able to pay for school so far b/c i'm attending a jc. But I plan to attend MWU in June 2004 and the tuition alone is 16,000/yr. Any ideas/advice would be appreciated.:(

Members don't see this ad.

Scholarships? Student loans? Get married/emancipated? LOL

Sorry I'm not more help! Good luck!

The only way to get around it, other than getting married or having a child, is to try and prove you are independent. Unfortunately this is extremely difficult to do and most schools don't like to even tell you how to do it. There must be "difficulties" between you and your parents and they have to be documented by a letter from a social worker, counselor, etc. Check out the finaid.org website and see if there isn't some little loop hole listed some where on the site. You may have to dig thru this website but you might find something to help you.

Something I learned the hard way that NO ONE tells you. TAKE WORK STUDY over a regular job. The first $4000 of work study is not considered income but is considered AID, whereas every penny you make from a regular job is counted as income.

Members don't see this ad :)
i believe once you reach 25 they cannot claim your parents income anymore..

Originally posted by agent
i believe once you reach 25 they cannot claim your parents income anymore..

Here it's once you reach 24, get married, have a dependent (child), or enter grad school, you become independent for financial aid purposes.

I think the other qualifications for independent status aren't really things you can change: if you are an orphan or ward of the court, or a veteran.

you're probably right about 24..

anyway, im 25 and married so it doesnt matter.