What to do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unlucky87

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone- I am graduating this May with bachelor's of science in biology. with no interview invites and mostly rejections, i see no hope for this year. My gpa is 3.9 and MCAT is 26 Q (low even after taking it 2nd time and taking formal mcat class). I don't know what to do for the next year? masters? research? get a job? I am a typical premed so i guess my application is not getting noticed. I need to do something. please any advice will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone- I am graduating this May with bachelor's of science in biology. with no interview invites and mostly rejections, i see no hope for this year. My gpa is 3.9 and MCAT is 26 Q (low even after taking it 2nd time and taking formal mcat class). I don't know what to do for the next year? masters? research? get a job? I am a typical premed so i guess my application is not getting noticed. I need to do something. please any advice will be appreciated.

Any D.O. schools on your list?

Any D.O. schools on your list?

I.e. your MCAT is really low to be competitive in Allo.

You may have a typical pre-med application, but your MCAT is below average. I say, work hard to get your MCAT to a 30, and get a job in a health care related field. Don't waste your money on a masters you don't want. You've proven your ability to perform well in classes already.

Lab work, research, clinical... or even, go do something crazy and different. (just make sure you spend time on that MCAT before you reapply.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above about MCAT and clinical experience. If it was your gpa that was low I'd say do a Master's but in this case I don't think it'd help. If you're unable to get that score up I'd def apply to some DO schools next go-round.

MCAT
MCAT
MCAT

Your mcat is way too low (below 1 SD) and barely beating the average. Take this time/year to improve that and keep your ECs. You don't even need research, just stick around a hospital and get 29+.

If you want to get MD, spend your summer focusing solely on the MCAT, then do research. Assuming you are white or ORM, you need at least MCAT score of 29+ to have chance. Research would probably set you over the top.

As for the MCAT, why do you think you did so poorly? You have to be honest w/yourself as to the reasons why you did so poorly on the exam(ran out of time, didnt understand material, etc), so that you can rectify them. There is no point in retaking the exam if you dont think you can score at least a 29. As for MCAT preparation, you might want to look into the Examkrackers books; they were very helpful for me.

Do MCAT practice tests! The Princeton Review has around 18 practice tests online (which include 8 e-mcat tests). If those aren't enough then go to Borders and buy MCAT study books with more practice tests. Just make sure that you study and memorize everything from the tests after you take them. This is how I studied and my score steadily improved. I have a friend who had to apply three times in order to get into an MD school, so don't give up and Good Luck:luck:

Plus: Your practice test scores should be a good indication of how you will score on the MCAT, so don't take it until your practice scores go up to a 29 or more.

the only thing holding the OP back from getting into an MD school is the MCAT. take the damn test a third time and dominate it.

With a GPA that high and the relatively many number of testing dates, you would be silly for not continuing to take the MCAT over and over until you achieved an acceptable score. A 30 would be plenty.

the other option would be going to build huts in africa for children...or if you cure cancer or aids you will def get in :idea: ...

other than sarcastic commens though.. i agree w/ everyone, you just need to study HARD HARD HARD for that next mcat.... Sign up for a date, and if you even feel just a little!!! unprepaired before it switch to a different later date. If you can get that mcat up yu will be good. Also try to get some volunteer time under your belt! You should be golden then