What to do oh what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fozziewan

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its dark out and I'm not scared. Ok, I currently reside in Springfield, MA. I have a BS in Biology from Binghamton University (Go Bearcats!) and about a years experience working in a research lab performing DNA sequencing and Oligo synthesis services for academic and commercial customers. I worked at the Center for Functional Genomics in Rensselaer, NY. Great experience and resume builder. Now on to the nitty gritty. I'm taking classes at Holyoke Community College to increase my academic credentials and increase my knowledge of subjects I never finished or neglected at BU. I've noticed some people have frowned upon retaking the pre-med requirements but, I felt it was the best thing for me since I am lacking a couple necessary ones. My undergrad gpa at BU was 3.08. I worked my butt off my last two years to bring it up from a 2.57 but did not succeed in impressing some grad schools I had applied to for this fall. Hence the return to undergrad to improve upon my record and also for fun. I'm planning to take the MCAT in August 2004 and anticipate entering med school in Fall 2005 after my fiancee and I get married. Does anyone out there have any advice and words of encouragement and or discouragement? I really loved UNECOM's campus. I visited there this past Saturday, 01 Nov. Its my first choice! Ok, time to stop rambling. I just want to hear from others out there. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

YOu might think about taking the MCAT in april that way you can submit your application at the first moment. This helps from two standpoints: first with a lower than average GPA it gets you into the process before the deluge of applicants, so your application recieves more attention. Second, with rolling admissions your app will get reviewed more times than someone who submits in august. Also, I guess there is a third point, by submitting early you are applying for an empty class rather than applying in oct., when your scores will come in, you will be applying for classes that are partially full. Good Luck!

P.S. I have a bad GPA, and also got married and have three kids, I got in so it can be done. PM me with questions.

I have a 3.2 undergrad gpa and was able to get in at UNE. The best thing that I did was take the MCAT in april and apply early. UNE was my first choice and I made sure that they knew that. If you really want in and you have some reasons as to why UNECOM would be blessed to have you then give it a shot. You can't go wrong with trying.