1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What to do? Overal GPA = 2.8 Science GPA = 4.0

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Lady Victoria, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Lady Victoria

Lady Victoria Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm post bac and I never took any science classes as undergrad except Earth Science, where I got a C. I retook it as a post bac along with 64 other credits including all the med school prerequisites with a 4.0. So now I have a 4.0 science GPA (3.9 for MD since they'll factor in the C from Earth Science in 1996), but a 2.8 overall GPA. Am I going to have to take more classes to raise it or will they go by my 67 post bac credits since I've been out of school for 8 years? I'd love to stop spending money to make up for my foolish college years, but is 67 credits with a 4.0 enough to convince them I've changed since then?

I'm taking the MCAT in August and with a review course, so far, I'm scoring very low 30's, so I feel confident. I still have some more studying to do, but I'm confident. Any advice about applying with my GPA the way it is?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kuba

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    I am no authority on the matter, but it seems to me that you have a few great things going for you - you have distanced yourself form your poor grades - you have gotten As in all of your premed requirements I assume - You have shown a deep commitment. I would think you have a great shot now.

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It would be impossible for a premed to answer this for you -- you need to find a way to schedule a meeting with a dean at a local school, perhaps after getting a decent MCAT score.

5. ChymeChancellor

ChymeChancellor Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    :confused: What do you want us to tell you? You did everything you did by doing the post-bac. Apply and explain in your application what happened with you coursework. You will get rejected pre-secondary from schools that screen with that overall GPA so check out the schools that screen before you apply. Just stick it out through one cycle and hope for the best. If you don't get in then you can start to consider other options to obtaining your medical degree.

6. Lady Victoria

Lady Victoria Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Will the dean meet with people who aren't applying this year especially during the application season? I assumed they were too busy to meet with me. Do I just call them up and schedule a meeting?

7. uvce

uvce Member
    5+ Year Member

You might have better luck posting this in the non-trad forum.

8. Savantrice

Savantrice Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    the only way to find out if they'll meet with you is to call. i'd do it now though, while still early in the admissions process.

i'm essentially in the same boat as you...but with a lower post-bac gpa because i did take a couple of the sciences during my dismal undergrad yrs.

i met with the director of medical school admissions at my alma mater last august to see what my odds were...he told me to retake any prereq i had less than a B in and nail the MCAT...every semester, i emailed my grades and let him know what i was doing to boost my application. i'll email again once i submit my AMCAS and take it from there.

bottomline: it cant hurt to try...

9. iheartrain

iheartrain Member
    2+ Year Member

Emailing a dean your postbac grades after every semester before you have even applied seems like overkill. I would do it though once you've applied, if you are still taking classes, to update the adcoms on your continued improvements.