What to do the summer before matriculating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Storres09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand this forum places alot of focus on the admissions process and the stories that deal with it but I'd like to shift gears a little while still concerning med school. I wanted to see what people plan to do before school starts in August. It seems like those who are graduating from their undergraduate degree this semster that the coming summer is the last who-rah before it starts to get serious, as is the case for me. What are people doing? Some I know may want to study alot to prepare for class which I don't doubt is the smart thing to do but what about getting away and doing something incredible. I was entertaining the idea of taking out a loan and backpacking Europe. Any other ideas of ways to blow it out before schools starts?

If you've already started school what did you do the Summer before?

If you are going to start this Fall, what do you think you are going to do?

Members don't see this ad.

I had ALOT of M1's tell me to do one....and only one thing.

Nothing. :cool:

AStudent said:
I had ALOT of M1's tell me to do one....and only one thing.

Nothing. :cool:

Definitely good advice. Do not try to pre-study. You'll have plenty of time to study later, believe me. Travel, relax, spend time with the people you are about. If you have to work try to give yourself a few weeks off at least to relax before you start school. Enjoy :)

Members don't see this ad :)
seriously do something fun. I backpacked for a month before my 1st year. Its something I've always wanted to do and it was great. You can't possibly effectively pre-study.

Alexander Pink said:
I'm also thinking about backpacking Europe.

i am...bought the tix already...HOLLA

My summer will consist of lots and lots of Nintendo. ;)

Quitting my job in June... then Europe... then lots of sleeping, shopping, and Vegas partying!

(SDN meet up in my hometown Vegas????)

go abroad probably to Europe or Japan, or intern at a neat company.

My plan is to travel. I want to go to Poland and visit Auschwitz (60 year liberation anniversary this year) and also visit Paris, France to visit Louvre.
(Check out if Dan Brown is right)

Also I am going to SF, never been to SF, Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore....

3 month of freedom before becoming a zombie

I usually pop in a video before matriculating.

AStudent said:
I usually pop in a video before matriculating.
Get with the times, all the good stuff is on Windows Media Player.