What to do the summer before medical school starts (besides a wonderful vacation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slakker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sure, vacation is going to be one of the highlights for someone like me who's starting med school this fall. But just out of curiosity, what else can I do? Is there anything that can help me get a good start for med school?

Enlighten me, brilliant minds of SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, vacation is going to be one of the highlights for someone like me who's starting med school this fall. But just out of curiosity, what else can I do? Is there anything that can help me get a good start for med school?

Nope, just enjoy yourself. Anything else is pounding sand.

If you're really looking for something to do, spend a day or two walking/driving around the campus so you'll know where the Wendy's is.

You laugh, but there were at least 10 class-wide emails at the start of 1st year trying to find the nearest 99 cent menu.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're really looking for something to do, spend a day or two walking/driving around the campus so you'll know where the Wendy's is.

You laugh, but there were at least 10 class-wide emails at the start of 1st year trying to find the nearest 99 cent menu.

meh, thats what orientation week is for.

Get all that partying out of your system and enjoy the sunlight. That way you won't miss it as much when you are in the library or wards.

There really isn't much you can do that's very useful at this point. You have no idea what to expect, and no notion of what the focus will be, what the expectations will be, etc. The best you would accomplish would be to flail around blindly learning things in a summer that may not merit an hour's worth in the class.
Of course I always like the suggestion of digging up a few corpses to get that jump start on dissection. :D

Get all that partying out of your system and enjoy the sunlight. That way you won't miss it as much when you are in the library or wards.

There really isn't much you can do that's very useful at this point. You have no idea what to expect, and no notion of what the focus will be, what the expectations will be, etc. The best you would accomplish would be to flail around blindly learning things in a summer that may not merit an hour's worth in the class.
Of course I always like the suggestion of digging up a few corpses to get that jump start on dissection. :D

Pah, real gunners get fresh corpses:cool:

I disagree, this is the perfect time to wean yourself off of sunlight.

take the boards now so that the 1st 2 years are redundant. wheeeeee

I know that I'm taking my family on a big vacation. Also planning a couple road trips with friends. Other than that, just working on the house, draining some kegs, and chillin like never before. Gonna have me 3 golden months baby!

buy the best espresso machine you can afford.

Costco has 'em for about 600 dollars. Sure, that is a grip of money but if you buy a starbucks for 4 dollars everyday for a year you've spent 365x4=1400 bucks give or take. Plus there will be nights that you buy more than one drink.

buy the best espresso machine you can afford.

Costco has 'em for about 600 dollars. Sure, that is a grip of money but if you buy a starbucks for 4 dollars everyday for a year you've spent 365x4=1400 bucks give or take. Plus there will be nights that you buy more than one drink.

Well, you still have to buy the coffee and filters, etc. And some of what you are paying Starbucks for is the labor, and your time is likely worth considerably more than that of the kids they have working there.

If your school requires you to dress professionally from time to time (when encountering pts and the like), take some time to start building your professional wardrobe now so you'll be ready.

When we started our clinical medicine classes, it seemed that most girls were either dressed like they were going to the club or to church, and the guys wore rumpled tattered khakis. Don't be one of these people.

Well, you still have to buy the coffee and filters, etc. And some of what you are paying Starbucks for is the labor, and your time is likely worth considerably more than that of the kids they have working there.

With an espresso machine you don't use filters. I have an espresso maker and here is my timed breakdown of costs and time:

Cappuchino: 5minutes, 50cents
Mocha: 7 minutes, 60cents
Iced Espresso: 2-4 minutes 50 cents

So basically, in the time I would spend waiting in line at starbucks, I could make a cup of coffee.