Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What to do the summer before MS1?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by DocRadak, Apr 7, 2004.

1. DocRadak

DocRadak Lovin my life
    7+ Year Member

Hi everybody,

I am just curious about some of your opinions on what to do the summer before I start my first year of medical school???

I have heard to relax and enjoy the last bit of freedom we'll have from numerous people, students in general. But I have also heard to brush up on some Anatomy, histology, biochem, and embryology from numerous people, professors in general.

What is everybody's opinion about this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would suggest not studying the summer before you start; you will more than likely regret not doing so. Go out and have fun.

I, personally, will be in Jamaic or Mexico for a week with my wife on our honeymoon. After that I will be at some military base in Texas or Maryland for COT.

Studying in summer before MS1 = bad. Leave the books at home.

4. YoungFaithful

YoungFaithful Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I will also be in Mexico.

:D

5. DOtobe

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree. Enjoy your summer. :cool:

6. drbrowneyes

drbrowneyes Member
    7+ Year Member

I intend to have a laid back lazy summer doing something fun and/or easy. I am currently volunteering with the youth for summer track and also in the process of applying for an easy job like sales clerk at a dept. store or team leader at the local YMCA. I am not doing anything that requires take home work or too much thinking. I am just gonna sit back, RELAX and enjoy a lazy southern summer. :p

7. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm doing an internship to finish my MPH degree then I am going to Europe for a few weeks.

I'm all about drinking a beer from a real German stein.

8. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't study before you start medical school. You will most likely find it will be a waste of your efforts. Relax and get some sun.

9. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    if you study then you have mental problems

i'll be making money as a paramedic then taking time off for a vaction and to move

10. pbbly finding a place to live and moving in!

11. drhodz

drhodz Don't let me shoot the 3!
    7+ Year Member

The wife and I will be chillin' in Miami for a week this summer...NO studying for me!

12. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  13. doc3341

doc3341 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

"Eat, Drink and be Merry..."-DMB

14. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :sleep: --> :D --> :cool: --> :scared:

In other words.... sleep, have fun, go on vacation and then PANIC as it comes closer and closer to classes starting

15. Doctortobee

Doctortobee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Do NOTHING except sleep in until whenever you want, eat good home cookin' food, and RELAX.

16. scubadiva

scubadiva postwhore
    7+ Year Member

I am going to work in a job that I know I will probably never have th chance to do once I'm in med school and afterwards because my career will be as a physician. I've always wanted to be a Starbucks barista :). I plan on applying at the hiring fair.

So far, I've tried a few fun and interesting jobs, and my coffee addiction would absolutely :love: the chance to be a barista! I want the 4:30 a.m. shift, please :D.

Aside from being a barista, I plan on just enjoying my free time and wasting it away reading all of the classic books that are on my reading list.

17. DOtobe

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That's awesome, Scuba! I've always wanted to work at a coffee shop. I think it would be a fun job (and a lot of free coffee :smuggrin: ) I have become addicted to Starbucks, so I would love to work at one (and wouldn't you know one just opened up near my house, too?) Unfortunately, I have to do this whole rotation thing... :)

18. Johnny69

Johnny69 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Starbucks and Gloria Jeans, have done nothing but barstardize the coffee industry.

As a coffee enthusiast, i can tell you Starbucks is very close to the worst coffee i have ever had (the worst coffee i ever had came from an Oporto Resturant)

Coffee is not supposed to be standardised and franchised around the world. Each brew is different to the next. Coffee is such a complex of delicate and precise flavours, that for a company to try and say coffee should be exactly brewed in one manner all around the world is obsurd!

Starbucks has earned itself the nickname Staryucks, and rightfully so...

There was a time once when i thought, Im sure it is not that bad, after hearing everyone rave on about how bad their coffee is, i still gave them the benefit of the doubt... That is until i actually tasted some. It was horrible, and if god shall ever will me to drink there again, i will be sure to ask for my coffee without the dirt.