What to do this summer...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vicious Koala

Pre-Medical Marsupial
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from undergrad @ UCLA. I just took the MCAT(s) on June 18th. And now I'm in a limbo period with nothing to do. I've spent the past week hanging out, celebrating, and building up my booze+weed tolerance. I'm realizing now that the bum life isn't all that spectacular; I shouldn't be spending my day watching soap operas and judge judy, nor should my nights be spent in a sea of beautiful women that mean nothing to me.

I'd like to get a full time job or research gig, but the problem is that I'm only going to be in LA for 2.5 more months, so i don't think prospective employers are that interested. After that, I'm moving back in with the 'rents so i can bust out post-bacc apps and get some serious work experience..

So basically, I want some opinions about how I should spend the rest of my summer. Since money isn't that much of an issue, I was thinking along the lines of part-time/fun job. I'm not looking to be super-stressed out (although a little stress is fine) and I don't feel like being someone's bitch. I ain't tryin' to have that right now.

Now that you've heard that long-winded background, what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

There's no problem just hanging out for a bit, now that you've finished college. Be sure that this month or two "off" doesn't turn into a year or two. You probably want to keep up with at least some volunteer or clinical experience (shadowing) in the time being. Neither of which requires a long commitment, won't be too much of stressor doing 5-10 hours/week, and will fill one of your blanks when you get to your extracurics on the apps.

Keep daaaaa-rinking! You don't get to do it as much when you're in the middle of surgeries.

There's no problem just hanging out for a bit, now that you've finished college. Be sure that this month or two "off" doesn't turn into a year or two. You probably want to keep up with at least some volunteer or clinical experience (shadowing) in the time being. Neither of which requires a long commitment, won't be too much of stressor doing 5-10 hours/week, and will fill one of your blanks when you get to your extracurics on the apps.

Thanks for the advice. I'm just so used to being non-stop busy.