What to do this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muffinman23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just finished freshman year. During the year, I applied to a bunch of summer research internships but that got me nowhere. Summer arrived so I decided to taken summer courses, but they have finished and I was wondering if you have any suggestions as to what I should try to do with my time. Would volunteering or shadowing look better on an application? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

volunteer in a hospital.

or get some fun job just for the $$ and enjoy yourself. you're only a freshman.

Members don't see this ad :)
get a job. volunteer and shadow on the side but try to find work in a clinical setting.

Thanks for the feedback,everyone. I apologize if I sound ignorant, but what exactly do you mean by clinical work? Do you mean working in a doctor's office? Or at a hospital? And doing what exactly?
The only concern I have is that most of the hospitals around my home have stopped accepting volunteers (I wasn't able to attend the volunteer orientation because of the summer classes).

I appreciate your help.

start studying for the usmle. :thumbup:

barring that, get some shadowing experience in a hospital.

yeah a job where you'd be interacting with patients, perhaps working with or seeing other healthcare providers in action.

ANY job dealing with the public will help prepare you. People are... interesting to say the least, and the more you work with them (even in a non-clinical setting), the more you'll get a feel for it.

Other than that, I say you party your butt off and have the time of your life. The next 10-15 years of your life is going to be serious as can be... And you'll be wishing you had been more carefree and outgoing when you had the chance to.

eratap_beach.jpg

+
1734.gif

haha some of us cant afford those luxuries, DrYoda

make a friend, his name is Jack.......Jack Daniels.....oh and volunteer/shadow

Joining some summer camps.:cool:

lets see.... The summer after I was a freshmen I: worked at a marina, drank frequently, chased p*ssy, smoked a ton of pot, and enjoyed life in general.

Seriously, go have some fun. Med school is cool for like 2 months, then it is just alot of work. Enjoy life now, and never regret it! I have fun now, but not as much as I used to...