What to do to prepare for OMFS in july.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tbone10452

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, big thanx to all those who replied to the questions and gave advice on the forums. I matched out of dental school, and I was wondering what I could to get ready for next year. The question goes out to the current residents : Is there anything I should prepare in specific, or read up on, to make sure I am not completely lost come july 1st ? Right now I'm trying to make sure I get all my quotas done in clinic while studying for the Canadian Board, but after that I'll be left with some free time, so what do you recommend ?

Thanx in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Head and Neck Anatomy
Oral Pathology
Pharmacology

I've been told by many first year residents that the first couple of months are the hardest due to the fact the transition to a hospital setting is unfamiliar and stressful. You don'y write many admit, consult, and orders in dental school and the hospital protocol is much different as in-house staff. I am going to follow the residents here for a few weeks just to get familliar with my way around a busy hospital and maybe see if I can write some notes and orders. What do others think?

Members don't see this ad :)
i also say, spend PLENTY of time with family, friends and loved ones... because quite frankly you are entering 4-6 years of social-life hell.

Lots of lube

Relax and enjoy life...the learning curve is going to be steep no matter what you do...might as well make the best of your free time while you still have it.

I've been told by many first year residents that the first couple of months are the hardest due to the fact the transition to a hospital setting is unfamiliar and stressful. You don'y write many admit, consult, and orders in dental school and the hospital protocol is much different as in-house staff. I am going to follow the residents here for a few weeks just to get familliar with my way around a busy hospital and maybe see if I can write some notes and orders. What do others think?

I think you've learned more during your externships last summer than the residents at columbia had in the past year. :laugh:

There isn't much you can do to prepare. You can attempt to read books such as the Skut Monkey manual, Washington Manual of Surgery, but the greatest way to learn is to do it. So I second the previous advice...spend time with family, friends, etc. move to the city of your residency sooner rather than later so you can get your house in order, get new insurance, reliscense your car, switch your drivers liscence, etc. before the pain begins.

Oh yes one other thing, avoid the temptation of following the residents around if you do arrive early. Don't do a damn thing unless you are getting paid for it...your days of slave labor are over! (well, kinda over)

Thanx for the tips guys. I shaved my ankles.

My ankle hair hasn't grown back since I shaved them in the June. I think my follicles called it quits after all the trauma.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanx for the tips guys. I shaved my ankles.

Do a little "man-scaping" too... your attendings might appreciate it and be a little more gentle as they violate your dignity

My ankle hair hasn't grown back since I shaved them in the June. I think my follicles called it quits after all the trauma.

Thank goodness you had knee protectors too.

Don't listen to these dudes on here, there are plenty of things you can do to prepare yourself for July 1st! Here are my recommendations:

Exercises:

1) set your alarm clocks at 2:15 AM, 3:30 AM, and then another time at 5 AM and do not go to bed until 1 AM daily
2) grab a pen and a sheet of paper and start writing for two hours straight three times a day to work up your wrist endurance
3) stand on your feet and do not sit down for 8 hours straight with your elbows at your sides and hand up in front of you
4) practice no eating breakfast, lunch or dinner every other day
5) practice holding in your piss and **** in every other day
6) grab a digital voice recorder and record "you don't know ****", listen to it and train your ears to those words so your feelings will be immuned to it
7) once you take a dump, place your nose near the toilet rim and train your nose to the smell every other day
8) start your McDs or Burger King diet

Reasoning:

1) your pager will go off like crazy on nights of call (busy programs)
2) you'll be writing notes and orders like crazy
3) working in clinic and/or in the OR, trust me, you'll stand all day
4) working in clinic and/or in the OR, you won't have time to eat
5) working in clinic and/or in the OR, you won't have time to go to the bathroom
6) you'll have numerous upper residents remind you how much you don't know daily
7) whether it's draining an abscess or wiring a mandible, you'll smell "****" breath everyday
8) you won't have time to cook, eat right, and/or go grocery shop (most of the time, you are on the go)

There are many more....:thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Don't listen to these dudes on here, there are plenty of things you can do to prepare yourself for July 1st! Here are my recommendations:

Exercises:

1) set your alarm clocks at 2:15 AM, 3:30 AM, and then another time at 5 AM and do not go to bed until 1 AM daily
2) grab a pen and a sheet of paper and start writing for two hours straight three times a day to work up your wrist endurance
3) stand on your feet and do not sit down for 8 hours straight with your elbows at your sides and hand up in front of you
4) practice no eating breakfast, lunch or dinner every other day
5) practice holding in your piss and **** in every other day
6) grab a digital voice recorder and record "you don't know ****", listen to it and train your ears to those words so your feelings will be immuned to it
7) once you take a dump, place your nose near the toilet rim and train your nose to the smell every other day
8) start your McDs or Burger King diet

Reasoning:

1) your pager will go off like crazy on nights of call (busy programs)
2) you'll be writing notes and orders like crazy
3) working in clinic and/or in the OR, trust me, you'll stand all day
4) working in clinic and/or in the OR, you won't have time to eat
5) working in clinic and/or in the OR, you won't have time to go to the bathroom
6) you'll have numerous upper residents remind you how much you don't know daily
7) whether it's draining an abscess or wiring a mandible, you'll smell "****" breath everyday
8) you won't have time to cook, eat right, and/or go grocery shop (most of the time, you are on the go)

There are many more....:thumbup:

Wow!!!...something to look forward to...I CAN'T WAIT!!!...:rolleyes:

Wow!!!...something to look forward to...I CAN'T WAIT!!!...:rolleyes:

It's not that bad. It was much worse Pre-Katrina, when we covered Charity and University... although the news says that NOLA crime has increased 90% in the last few months....Gotta love those gunslingers....Like OMFScards said.....learning curve is steep (unless ur missing a few c-somes). Just work hard....don't ask questions....and shut up. Don't forget to shave those ankles :D

Don't forget to shave those ankles :D[/QUOTE]

thanks...what shaving cream do you guys prefer...:thumbup:

Don't forget to shave those ankles :D

thanks...what shaving cream do you guys prefer...:thumbup:[/QUOTE]

Enough with the nonsense posts. This joke was not funny a long time ago. I click on this thread for useful info and I see lame responses to a lame joke.

Enough with the nonsense posts. This joke was not funny a long time ago. I click on this thread for useful info and I see lame responses to a lame joke.

you are right. the "what kind of shaving cream" joke is lame. it really doesn't matter what kind of shaving cream is used as long as it feels like a baby's bottom.

thanks...what shaving cream do you guys prefer...:thumbup:

Enough with the nonsense posts. This joke was not funny a long time ago. I click on this thread for useful info and I see lame responses to a lame joke.[/QUOTE]

You will probably need the most shaving cream of all of us...

First of all get all the dentistry stuff out of the way. Don't let anything to do with regional boards, dental school, or licensure carry over into residency time! Second once you are done with that go back and review anatomy/physiology/pharmacology/pathophysiology. That is the meat of residency. Go back and review CV stuff, nephrology, liver stuff. This is always helpful. The last thing is celebrate the amazing accomplishment of getting into residency, not by flying to Las Vegas and partying like last year's nincomepoops did, but instead get a week long get away to Minnesota and go find a frozen lake then dig a hole through the ice. Take off all of your clothes. Dry shave yourself so you work up a good "chaffe" then rub 80% ethyl-alcohol on yourself and then jump in the hole for a good swim. Do this until you no longer think it hurts..... then you will be ready for July 1!!!!!!!! If you don't have the money for a week get away to Minnesota then just go donate your body to the local boxing gym as a sparring partner for some angry vengeful boxer.... that will work also.... don't forget to wear your pink shorts, tank top that says "boxers are cute", cheap drug store perfume, and lipstick