What to do to prepare for writing section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamer67

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the writing section isn't that important, but I still feel like I should prepare for it somehow to make sure I get a decent score. So how did you guys prepare for this section?

Members don't see this ad.

I know the writing section isn't that important, but I still feel like I should prepare for it somehow to make sure I get a decent score. So how did you guys prepare for this section?

Although the Writing Section doesn't seem important, if your MCAT score was matched with some other applicant's, and your WS score was lower, the other applicant could reasonably have a better chance of being accepted than you. Most American schools don't care so much if you got an M or N and did well on the other sections. However, if you apply to Canadian schools, a Q is needed for some schools, and possibly a Q/R for Queen's depending on the pool.

You can prepare by creating a database of examples for politics, arts, and business. Make sure that you explain your cases thoroughly and don't run off on a tangent. Also, try to add a philosophical dimension to your essay, relating to more universal and far-reaching themes.