1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What to do well in advance...?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by quigleyadam9, Dec 30, 2008.

1. quigleyadam9

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I won't be taking the MCAT until at least June 2010, but it's such an important test I feel there is SOMETHING I should be doing b/w now and then to prepare...I don't mean hardcore, life-controlling studying, but what is the best course of action to take with so much time to spare?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Marjan Islam

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Right now, I'd suggest doing well in your classes; doing some good EC's (research, volunteering, random day volunteering bits, shadowing etc.) so when it comes time to tackle the BEAST, you'll have nothing else to worry about.

That being said, since it IS forever away, the best way to "study" for this test is to begin reading. Just reading for building speed and comprehension for VR. I know this won't help much, but it's something.

MCAT is a strange thing to learn to destroy, and the only real way to do it is to go through practice material, which you can't until you start studying. Best bet is to free up time for when you will need to study! Do well in your pre-req. classes. If you rock these, studying for MCAT won't be as tough.

4. DrA7X

DrA7X DrA7X

Pre-Medical
    Hey quigleyadam9,
    I was in your same situation a couple years ago and now I'm finally taking the MCAT this upcoming year (2009).
    Not knowing about a helpful website like this one, I had to come up with a strategy of my own.
    I went to the AAMC's website and downloaded the topics for each section of the MCAT. Then, I would always have them with me as I was taking each class (and still have them as I finish physics) and made sure I really learned each of the topics we covered that I knew would be on the test.
    Because G-chem was the first class I finished, then from there on I just reviewed the material every once in a while and have been doing the same for every class I took since. Now, I find that I remember a good percentage of the material.
    Here's the link to download the topics from the AAMC in case you need it:
    http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/start.htm
    Good luck and hope it works!
    Dr A7X.