What to do.. what to do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncguy2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well... I'm currently planning how I'm going to improve my application for its submission next June.

While I am preparing to begin volunteering in a free clinic in my community, and also participate in a medical mission trip this coming spring I have one decision that I am still rethinking...

My MCAT.... I have a 29 (9,10,10)M (as you can see from my MDapps if you've looked).

Until recently i was 100% sure I wanted to retake, but now I'm not so sure. With a 29, are the odds more against me for getting into an MD school? I've spoke with my premed advisor and various other students and med students and I've gotten mixed advice.

Obviously I'd rather not have to ever take this test again... But if I'm going to take it I know its important to make that decision now so I can plan for what I'll be doing next spring.

As far as my science GPA goes its around 3.75. I am in the process of taking animal phys, genetics, and micro this fall to hopefully bring it up to around a 3.8...

Any advice would be appreciated...:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

While a higher MCAT would help, I think your previous application didn't work out for two reasons. First, you didn't apply to enough lower tier schools. Secondly, you were far too late. Both of these are easy fixes.

While a higher MCAT would help, I think your previous application didn't work out for two reasons. First, you didn't apply to enough lower tier schools. Secondly, you were far too late. Both of these are easy fixes.

So, would you consider it a waste if i just work on bringing the rest of my app up and no MCAT retake. Then apply to 15 schools (mostly lower tiers) in early June of next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
My question for you is, was the 29 consistent with your practice tests or do you feel you underperformed? If the 29 accurately reflected your abilities and wasn't the result of a bad test day or inadequate preparation, it may not be worthwhile to retake. You could end up with a very similar score.

I agree with the other posters that you will have a good chance of getting into lower tier MD schools with a 29 MCAT and an otherwise strong application. But of course there are no guarantees.

This is probably not what you want to hear, but if you can make time to study for another MCAT and you are confident that you can improve your score, my advice would be to retake. If not, sit tight with your 29 and cross your fingers. Good luck!

So, would you consider it a waste if i just work on bringing the rest of my app up and no MCAT retake. Then apply to 15 schools (mostly lower tiers) in early June of next year?

It's definitely NOT a waste to improve your application. My advise was actually contingent on you continuing to bolster your app. Medical schools never like to see a year go by without much being done.

My question for you is, was the 29 consistent with your practice tests or do you feel you underperformed? If the 29 accurately reflected your abilities and wasn't the result of a bad test day or inadequate preparation, it may not be worthwhile to retake. You could end up with a very similar score.

I agree with the other posters that you will have a good chance of getting into lower tier MD schools with a 29 MCAT and an otherwise strong application. But of course there are no guarantees.

This is probably not what you want to hear, but if you can make time to study for another MCAT and you are confident that you can improve your score, my advice would be to retake. If not, sit tight with your 29 and cross your fingers. Good luck!

It was consistent with the month and a half of practice I put in. Looking back I really wish I wouldn't have beens so dumb and rushed the application process. So if anyone who is doing that now reads this listen to me: TAKE YOUR TIME!

I was going to spend over three months this spring preparing for an April/May MCAT. My goal was to aim for 12's in every section (keyword aim)... I think deep down I feel like it would be for the best, but the laziness in me is looking for an easy way out..

EDIT- To answer your question specifically... Yes I was scoring around 28-30 on practice tests when I took it. I didn't realize how easy it was to raise your science score until like a week or two before (before that point I was getting like 7/8's on the physics section). I had spent the majority of my time doing content review, but my score didn't go up until I did solid practice (example: Kaplan subject tests, QBank, things like that). I have this feeling that if I spent three months studying and focus mainly on practice I'd be able to significantly approve... who knows...

Last edited:
Your stats are great for some schools, solid for others, and nightmares for still more.

You should decide where you want to go (or at least ball-park it) and what you need to achieve to be competitive. If that means retaking, don't hesitate. Students always think their schedule will free up, and it is usually the opposite that happens.

If you want to change your application, start NOW.

Your stats are great for some schools, solid for others, and nightmares for still more.

You should decide where you want to go (or at least ball-park it) and what you need to achieve to be competitive. If that means retaking, don't hesitate. Students always think their schedule will free up, and it is usually the opposite that happens.

If you want to change your application, start NOW.

Any schools that you have in mind that my stats would be great for?

Ehhh.. I'm just going to retake. I'm so indecisive, but I think I'd spend the rest of my life wondering how I could have done if I don't...

Probably a safe bet.

Just something to keep in mind though... after you get in, you will never think about your MCAT score again. It really is a non-issue after admissions.

ncguy

you prob remember me from the wake threads. i didnt have much luck either, and i had a 3.7 and a 31. i'm retaking the mcat. you should do the same. your 29 isnt going to get you into med school if it didnt already this cycle.