Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

What to do when there are 4 weeks left...?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by centersharpie, Jun 2, 2008.

1. centersharpie

centersharpie Pre-PA

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey guys,

I'm taking the 7/8 MCAT. Now I have about one more week to review material (according to my study schedule). What should I be doing when I hit that 4 week mark? For those of you who have taken the MCAT... what did you do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    c.s.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LikeClockWork

Practice, practice, practice.

I took sectional tests on weekdays and full-lengths on weekends. They help you to pin-point what material you don't know well so that you can do more directed review. Plus, it gets you used to what MCAT questions look like, timing aspects, layout, etc. etc.

4. centersharpie

centersharpie Pre-PA

Do you mean the kaplan subject test? I <3 Kaplan they have so much review material... thats actually a great idea. Did you do one subject test for each subject a day?

Thanks!

c.s.

5. LikeClockWork

Pretty much, though I only did 3-4 section tests Monday through Friday. Crank out a PS or BS section test, eat dinner or snack, then go back and review the stuff I got wrong. I'd make a list of the topics my wrong answers came from and reviewed them at work the next day. Wash, rinse, repeat. When I ran out of section tests I started just taking parts of the AAMC tests they provided.

The only problem with the Kaplan sectionals is that they give you a percentage instead of a scaled score. I found a couple of scaled conversion charts and tried to average the scales they gave for my # correct, but I'm sure it wasn't exact. At least you can tell if you're going up or down though.

6. JA Prufrock

JA Prufrock Serenity Now!

Pre-Medical
    Hey LikeClockWork, by sectionals do you mean the "topical" exams, or are the sectionals something different?

7. LikeClockWork

When I say sectional I mean a full BS, PS, or VR section. The whole 52 questions/70 minutes thing (or 40 questions/60 min for Verbal). If that's what you mean by "topical" then we're on the same page, though I usually take "topical" tests to mean a test that only covers acids/bases or amine reactions or something like that.

8. JA Prufrock

JA Prufrock Serenity Now!

Pre-Medical
    Yeah... Kaplan has "topical" tests that just cover a certain subject, and they are not the length of an actual section. Does Kaplan have separate sectionals, or did you just break up their full length exams?

9. LikeClockWork

They have separate sectional tests (like 10 for PS and BS, and 8 or 9 for VR I think). When I ran out of those (I did a bunch of PS) I started taking the AAMC tests sections. The AAMC tests let you choose which sections you want to do, whether to time it or not, whether to show the answers, and a bunch of other stuff. I had way more practice material than I had time to do before my exam so I could afford to waste a whole practice test by only doing one section of it.