What to do with psychoeducational material I created?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreudianSlippers

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I created a short (3 page) psychoed pamphlet regarding anxiety and treatment. Very basic stuff talking about the role of the amygdala, flight vs fight response, avoidance, and how CBT can help anxiety. I was having trouble finding a short yet comprehensive psychoed reading that wasn't too dry. I plan on giving it to my anxiety disorder clients for HW after the first session.

However, it came out pretty darn good, and I was wondering if there was any way I could use what I wrote to get my name out there a bit (oh...and of course for others to access and use for the common good of society ;)). For reference, I am an early career psychologist with a very slowly growing private practice (and working part time at a university counseling center). Some ideas I had were to possibly get it published (I don't know if this is even a thing), post it as a blog somewhere (no idea where), or just send it out to all my colleagues (would this be obnoxious).

Any thoughts or advice? Maybe its the case where I've been too much thought into it and I should just use it in my own clinical work and shut the hell up about it already lol. Would be open to any and all feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want more referrals? Add your contact info to it and bring it by PCP offices or whatever speciality sends you patients. Writing educational material and sharing can be more beneficial for referrals than paying for ads, search engine optimization, etc.

If you can make it accessable and easy to explain, then the PCP is more likely to use it as an educational aide about (topic). If they refer directly to you...great! The patient may also ask. Staff can be great indirect referral sources.

If you really want to do it right, then you bring lunch to a practice or two and ask the providers (AND staff) what topics related to psych come up the most. If it's an area you provide, offer to write something up and drop off copies....of course w. Biz cards and contact info on the pamphlet, etc. Good providers should never go hungry.

Reactions: 1 users
What T4C said somewhat. Handouts and psychoed materials like this are a dime a dozen. The materials aren't going to be what gets your name out and builds referral networks IMO. Going out and meeting with people is what's going to work. See if you can present at a "Lunch and Learn" type thing that many units do. See about presenting at other educational type things. Plenty of room to present at training seminars for training programs (both physicians and psychologists), I get requests to do presentations all of the time, even a lot from outside of my hospital system. Most of those will gladly accept a presentation. Do a good job, and they'll want you back.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do NOT post it in a blog. That’s giving it away. The rate at which website hits turn into patients isn’t worth it.

If you’re really interested in growing:

1) look into every relevant local support group. Offer to give a brief talk. Hand out those brochures. I’ve been roped into giving talks to neuro based support hours. 9/10 I start talking, someone asks a question that is really just a means for them to tell a story, I show interest, and an hour is up.

2) offer something similar to local schools, churches, synagogues, old people meetings at said religious organizations, and assisted living facilities, etc. For schools, it’s easier to offer a brief lunchtime talk during teacher in services. Hand out said brochures. For churches, look up “Stephen ministers”. They’re some sort of untrained counselors. I dunno. They could use some help, and having a brochure with your name seems like an easy way to generate referrals. Old people orgs are always looking for someone to talk because... well the members have a lot of time on their hands.

3) avoid giving it to your colleagues. They’re your competition, from a business perspective. They may be nice, but...

4) If you really firm up how to present it, you could offer to present it to your local psych association. I’d outline each part with professional citations. But that’s just a cv builder and doesn’t really generate revenue.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you want more referrals? Add your contact info to it and bring it by PCP offices or whatever speciality sends you patients. Writing educational material and sharing can be more beneficial for referrals than paying for ads, search engine optimization, etc.

If you can make it accessable and easy to explain, then the PCP is more likely to use it as an educational aide about (topic). If they refer directly to you...great! The patient may also ask. Staff can be great indirect referral sources.

If you really want to do it right, then you bring lunch to a practice or two and ask the providers (AND staff) what topics related to psych come up the most. If it's an area you provide, offer to write something up and drop off copies....of course w. Biz cards and contact info on the pamphlet, etc. Good providers should never go hungry.

Holy crap that's really a great idea...i'll definitely be doing this

Do NOT post it in a blog. That’s giving it away. The rate at which website hits turn into patients isn’t worth it.

If you’re really interested in growing:

1) look into every relevant local support group. Offer to give a brief talk. Hand out those brochures. I’ve been roped into giving talks to neuro based support hours. 9/10 I start talking, someone asks a question that is really just a means for them to tell a story, I show interest, and an hour is up.

2) offer something similar to local schools, churches, synagogues, old people meetings at said religious organizations, and assisted living facilities, etc. For schools, it’s easier to offer a brief lunchtime talk during teacher in services. Hand out said brochures. For churches, look up “Stephen ministers”. They’re some sort of untrained counselors. I dunno. They could use some help, and having a brochure with your name seems like an easy way to generate referrals. Old people orgs are always looking for someone to talk because... well the members have a lot of time on their hands.

3) avoid giving it to your colleagues. They’re your competition, from a business perspective. They may be nice, but...

4) If you really firm up how to present it, you could offer to present it to your local psych association. I’d outline each part with professional citations. But that’s just a cv builder and doesn’t really generate revenue.

Yeah, the more I think about posting it as a blog the less appealing it sounds. Plus...I've been researching the process of making a successful blog and it sounds like wayyyy too much time and energy for what I already do. Also, I appreciate the reality check of not simply giving it away. I'm still somewhat in the cohort mindset of everybody helping each other out...but I guess im in the real world now where...you know...I have to make a living :)

What T4C said somewhat. Handouts and psychoed materials like this are a dime a dozen. The materials aren't going to be what gets your name out and builds referral networks IMO. Going out and meeting with people is what's going to work. See if you can present at a "Lunch and Learn" type thing that many units do. See about presenting at other educational type things. Plenty of room to present at training seminars for training programs (both physicians and psychologists), I get requests to do presentations all of the time, even a lot from outside of my hospital system. Most of those will gladly accept a presentation. Do a good job, and they'll want you back.

Thanks WisNeuro! I've actually been invited to give presentations to my old internship and postdoc sites. I think my next step is to reach out to other clinics and medical centers in the area of my practice and bring some of my pamphlets along for the ride. Thanks for the help!!