what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that we are almost at the end of the awful process, but I just can't take it anymore. My first dilmma is how to quit my job. I have been in this lab for 3 years and I have had enough. I have tried to leave many times, but my PI always convinces me to stay "a little longer". How do I tell him in no uncertain terns that I want out of here by April 1?

Secondly, once I am out of here I need a new job. I don't yet know my fate at the one school I interviewed at, and I can't wait to find out. Beisides that I am starting to have doubts about wheather I should go even if I do get in. I have a job interview on Friday and I am really stressing over if I should tell them that I might be starting school in a few months. It is not a research job, it is a patient assistant in a OB-GYN office. It is not a well-paying or prestigious job, but I think it could really improve my frame of mind right now. I am at the point where I literally have high blood pressure and may have to start on meds for it. I'm only 25!!!

What should I do???

-a very frazzled Bee

Members don't see this ad.

Just be honest with everyone. Tell your lab boss that you're going to med school, and you want out. Tell your job interviewer that you may have to leave at a certain date. It might decrease your chances of getting the job, but it will make things easier if you do get it, and have to leave.

As to your last issue, whether or not you would go if you got in, is the issue that you're uncertain about this particular school, or uncertain that you want to med school at all. If its the particular school, just remember that it doesn't matter too much where you go to school, unless you want to do research or teach medicine, or go into an ridiculously competitive specialty. If you don't know whether med school is right for you at all, then I'm not too sure what to say about that.

From personal experience.....

If they ask what your future plans are just tell them you plan to attend medical school "in the future" (that can be anytime from tomorrow). This is what I said during one interview and I got the job the next day. Some places will hire you even though they know you will run out in a couple of months but (the truth is) most places will rather hire someone who will commit to a longer term. Seriously why should I hire you if you already intend on running out on me in a few months (they don't want to feel/be used). Nothing is written in stone but most places want someone who intends on staying around for a while.
Since you are applying for a position in a Ob/Gyn facility I am sure they will be supportive of your decision to bail out and attend medical school when the time comes.

About quitting your current job...I don't know about that. I never had to quit a job (temping excluded) this is my first real real job. Better yet you can get fired and collect unemployment. :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just tell your boss are quitting period. Tell him the date and then remind him 2 weeks beforehand or more often that you are leaving. Say, "I just wanted to let you know that I need to give you my two weeks as of today. I wanted to let you know so you can prepare for when I'm gone." Don't feel the need to explain your situation to him. If he asks what you are doing simply say "I have a lot of things to sort out" Hell if he gets really annoying, just lie to him and tell him you have a new job beginning on X date, even if you don't.

It sounds like your job is carrying over into other aspects of your life and totally stressing you out.

Also go to this other interview and tell them the truth. If you don't get the job, oh well, you can look for something else. You don't want to FURTHER stress yourself out by deceiving them then having to deal with it in the future.

You need to sit down and decide if you really want to go to medical school, and it would be better to do this under non-stressful conditions so you can make a good decision. In order to lower your stress you need to quit your job and tell these new people the truth. Then do some soul searching and decide what you really want in your life.

Good luck to you.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Mellow:
• Better yet you can get fired and collect unemployment. :clap: •••••Just for the record: if you get fired or quit, you CANNOT collect unemployment. Be nice if you could though... :rolleyes:

um...how does one ever collect unemployment if one can't get it either by being fired or quitting? Aren't those the only two ways of going from having a job to not having a job? :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by none:
•um...how does one ever collect unemployment if one can't get it either by being fired or quitting? Aren't those the only two ways of going from having a job to not having a job? :) •••••...being laid off, having to leave because of illness, etc.; usually circumstances beyond your control. Unemployment benefits are very hard to come by.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by player:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Mellow:
• Better yet you can get fired and collect unemployment. :clap: •••••Just for the record: if you get fired or quit, you CANNOT collect unemployment. Be nice if you could though... :rolleyes: •••••My sister got laid off in Nov and she is sitting pretty on unemployment right now. I have another sister whose entire dept got laid off in May/June(during the Time Warner merger or something like that) and she is also sitting pretty on unemployment. It doesn't last forever though.

correction: even getting ill may not even entitle you to unemployment (rather disability may cover that), so aside from being laid off or company going out of business alltogether, collecting unemployment is a longshot.