What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajk1897

Reaction score
I am finishing up organic chemistry 1 and will end up with a C. I took general chemistry 1 and 2 and received an A and C respectfully. I know it would not be wise to retake a C or better. I am planning to take the second semester of organic chemistry with the lab and biochemistry in the spring. This semester result makes me second guess this plan.

Members don't see this ad.

I am finishing up organic chemistry 1 and will end up with a C. I took general chemistry 1 and 2 and received an A and C respectfully. I know it would not be wise to retake a C or better. I am planning to take the second semester of organic chemistry with the lab and biochemistry in the spring. This semester result makes me second guess this plan.
Orgo kills a lot of people, and they get past it and go on to have successful cycles. What year are you in and what does your GPA look like so far? Yes, there is no reason to retake a C, since it is a passing grade and you have nothing but downside if you get anything other than an A on the retake.

If you don't think you can handle it, there is no reason to torture yourself by taking orgo 2 and biochem together. Other than that, if your GPA is decent, you are fine and should not let orgo destroy your confidence.

I am a senior my gpa with my community college credits and university is 3.62. Science is 3.28.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a senior my gpa with my community college credits and university is 3.62. Science is 3.28.
Are you planning on taking post bacc classes? If so, why not save biochem for the post bacc to give yourself a little break?

I knew before this semester started that would likely be needed. My science gpa needs improvement. I am not in a give up hope situation, it is just discouraging. I know I can get through it plenty of people do.

I knew before this semester started that would likely be needed. My science gpa needs improvement. I am not in a give up hope situation, it is just discouraging. I know I can get through it plenty of people do.
Definitely. Just spend some time searching on SDN. A LOT of very successful people struggled with orgo.

Your sGPA needs work anyway, so this really isn't going to kill you and there is absolutely no reason to even think about giving up hope because of it, or to even be discouraged. A lot of really smart people get tripped up in orgo.

You are being smart about it by getting in front of it. You very well might find orgo 2 easier, either due to the exposure from orgo 1 or maybe, hopefully, you'll have a better teacher. But, either way, since you are going to need a post bacc anyway, why pile more on by taking biochem simultaneously? My advice would be to take something else where you are guaranteed to get an A in order to get a little head start on the GPA repair.

In fact, if orgo 2 is not co-requisite for biochem, maybe consider dropping orgo 2 and taking biochem. That way, you can begin preparing for the MCAT while doing your post bacc. Orgo 2 is not nearly as important for the MCAT as biochem. In fact, plenty of people take with MCAT without orgo 2. I don't even think it's a prereq at some schools.

I came across a post on SDN that had a link to what counts as science for DO schools. i found out that my major (kinesiology) classes count toward my science gpa. This brings me close to a 3.5.

Reactions: 1 user
I came across a post on SDN that had a link to what counts as science for DO schools. i found out that my major (kinesiology) classes count toward my science gpa. This brings me close to a 3.5.
Plus, DO schools have lower stat requirements in general. 3.5 should put you in good shape for DO, assuming your MCAT is decent.

I think a little post bac work will be beneficial to apply to my state school that is an MD program.

Reactions: 1 users
Can post bac courses be done at a community college or is it best to do it at a 4 year school especially since I will be graduating?
Anything can be done anywhere, but CC classes are universally considered to be less challenging and the grading more generous, so, while you will save money, you will get less bang for your buck, because your As won't be valued as highly by the adcoms as you seek GPA repair.

Reactions: 1 user
Best to do at a 4 year school, but IF money us an issue, then CC is OK.
I just checked and my local CCs do not go beyond anatomy and physiology, intro organic chemistry. A 4 year would offer me the upper level courses in addition to what I plan on taking this upcoming spring semester.

Would there be any reason to take a physiology class if I took one through a CC 4 years ago?
Yes, prove you can hang in upper division courses at a full-fledged university.

I was thinking this would be a better idea than taking an evolution class under the bio department that I do not have much interest in.