What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bryan123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing up my physics this spring, which is my last pre-rec. I have a degree already and I am wondering what to do after my MCAT this summer. I've taken alot of extra bio-classes (Histo, medical micro, physiology, endocrinology..etc)and I don't have a clue what to do this fall, other than work and volunteer. Here are some things I am thinking about doing, (at least applying for) PA school, M.S. in bio, RN program, MPH. What do you guys think?
Thanks for all your replies on my other posts,
Bryan

Members don't see this ad.

Are you planning on applying to med schools in the fall? If you are, then i would advise against going into PA or RN programs. The admissions committees will think that you're wasting a spot that someone who really wanted to be a PA or an RN could have had. An MPH would be very useful, especially if you're interested in community medicine or other related fields but you should know that some schools want you to finish your degree before you start med school. IMO, work and volunteer in a medcially related field and then take some time off before you start med school.
good luck

I agree with Ponyboy about the RN and PA programs. Though the experience would be great, it's not fair to take that spot from someone who really wants to be a nurse/PA.

Maybe an EMT course? You'd learn a lot about hands-on patient care, and it's fun and relatively easy. The Master's programs would look great on the application, I'm sure, but it might be nice to take a break from hard-core SCHOOLWORK before jumping into medical school.

Don't forget the importance of letters of recommendation from physicians, both DO and MD. Get the patient care experience, paid or volunteer, and make sure they know you...and like you!

Just some thoughts.....
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by epilido (edited May 16, 1999).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Bryan 123,
I was in the same situation as you. During the year between taking the MCAT and starting medical school, I enrolled in a Masters of Anatomy program. It was OK with this program if you did not complete it if you are accepted to medical school. If you are not, then you could finish the two year degree (I did not do the thesis option, but the course option) and it could boost your possibilities of acceptance, if you did well in the M.S. program. I took many of the same classes as the medical students at the school, and it is good preparation. But, on the other hand, it is hard, and if you do bad in it it may ruin your chances of acceptance. There are many programs out there I have heard that resemble the first year of medical school, but you will need to do very well in them.

Bryan, I too was in the same situation you are presently in. I did my premedical work as a postbacc student and had, essentially, a year off after my MCAT. I decided to take the opportunity to do something I've always wanted to do: graduate school! Having a long-standing interest in geriatrics, I approached the chairman of the USF Gerontology Department and asked if I could cram their two year program into one year if I went beyond full time for three straight terms. No one had ever done it before, but he agreed to let me do it. So I did. On May 1st, I earned an M.A. in Gerontology. It was one of the best things I've ever done.

So consider looking into the graduate programs at your university and see if anything interests you. Maybe look into the MPH option?

Good luck to you.

ggulick.gif

Gregory,
I think getting an M.P.H. is an excellent idea in the time. Also depending on your interests you could obtain an M.H.A. or M.B.A. (or at least start them).

VM... Now there's an idea, get an MBA. I have a good friend who is cramming that degree at Stetson U. so I imagine it is possible to accelerate through an MBA program. It is difficult to accelerate through basic-science programs like bio, chem, etc. because often there is intensive research required that is just time consuming and can't be done in a year.

About the MPH. I wonder if anyone here has ever heard of anyone who started (but did not complete) an MPH prior to medical school and was allowed to transfer those courses towards the DO/MPH dual-degree program at the medical school?

ggulick.gif

Thanks so much for the advice, I found a masters in biology that I can cram into one year. It is a MBS, a new degree, it is for working adults but I think they'll let me in.

Thanks again for the excellent advice, it helped a ton,

Bryan