What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vnicolas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning on taking the MCAT next August.... should I wait until May to start reviewing or should I start now.... I think I can start Verbal ( I am reading Economist and have EK 101) now and Physics ( I have Nova) but I feel that my Bio and Gen Chem are decent and I can learn o-chem ( I took both orgo 1 and 2 and Biochem already) .... I am planning to take a princeton review course.

Should I just focus on Verbal and physics since they are my weak areas.

Members don't see this ad.

I was planning on taking the MCAT next August.... should I wait until May to start reviewing or should I start now.... I think I can start Verbal ( I am reading Economist and have EK 101) now and Physics ( I have Nova) but I feel that my Bio and Gen Chem are decent and I can learn o-chem ( I took both orgo 1 and 2 and Biochem already) .... I am planning to take a princeton review course.

Should I just focus on Verbal and physics since they are my weak areas.

Why take it in August? Are you applying next cycle? if yes, then you might be just late...why not take it in january or early summer?

yeah when do you plan on applying? It would be late to take it in August if you want to apply for next cycle. I am about to start doing the content review throughout the school year for the next 2 semesters and do practice tests from May-June and probably taking it early July. You should try to do the same, if not take the exam even earlier than me.

Don't rush it though. you wanna take the MCAT once

I wanted to take it next summer because I will not able to fully focus on the MCAt and take class no matter how light my schedule is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to take it next summer because I will not able to fully focus on the MCAt and take class no matter how light my schedule is.

Well how long do you think its gona take you to finish content review? Are the material fresh in your mind?

I am going to take a Princeton Review from May-July and take the MCAT in Aug... I wanted to reviw Physics and Verbal because those are my weakest subjects but my friends are saying I should study everything but I believe I will forget most of the things.

I am going to take a Princeton Review from May-July and take the MCAT in Aug... I wanted to reviw Physics and Verbal because those are my weakest subjects but my friends are saying I should study everything but I believe I will forget most of the things.

Studying now is pointless cuz you will forget the material...however, PRACTICE verbal...that was the mistake I did, not practicing....read magazines, newspapers...etc. But I don't know about the Aug MCAT man, its up to you but you might be late.

Thanks I am going to study physics from Nova from now until April and take Princeton Review in May- July and take my MCAt in Aug..... i think it is better to take the MCAt late and score a 30+ than take it early and score below a 30. In the summer I will not take any classes and devote myself to the MCAT.

I am going to do verbal, I read economist everyday and I will do physics, ( I took physics already but I know physics is my weakest subject) , and orgo I think I am just going to do this

I am taking Genetics and a Physiology class plus I have taken other Bio classes so I think I will not study bio until May.
My gen chem--strong so I will not study until May.
Fall--rd nova physics, without doing practice problems
Winter break---re Ek orgo , my third weak area
Spring-- rd Nova physics but this time do the practice problems in the book.

I am going to do verbal, I read economist everyday and I will do physics, ( I took physics already but I know physics is my weakest subject) , and orgo I think I am just going to do this

I am taking Genetics and a Physiology class plus I have taken other Bio classes so I think I will not study bio until May.
My gen chem--strong so I will not study until May.
Fall--rd nova physics, without doing practice problems
Winter break---re Ek orgo , my third weak area
Spring-- rd Nova physics but this time do the practice problems in the book.

ya do that and focus on school work
come back to sdn in jan

Prep for 3-4 months before you have to take the MCAT.

Any time spent on it before this period is valuable time wasted that could have been spent on more important, recreational things. You'll also be wasting good practice materials if you burn through them too far out.

Getting in the habit of reading articles is not a bad idea though.

Prep for 3-4 months before you have to take the MCAT.

Any time spent on it before this period is valuable time wasted that could have been spent on more important, recreational things. You'll also be wasting good practice materials if you burn through them too far out.

Getting in the habit of reading articles is not a bad idea though.

Hey paul, have you started medical school already? If so, how is it so far?

Hey paul, have you started medical school already? If so, how is it so far?

Classes don't start till Monday. I've been sitting through incredibly boring orientation during the day and partying it up at night with the other med students this past week. My classmates are way more awesome than I imagined.

Classes don't start till Monday. I've been sitting through incredibly boring orientation during the day and partying it up at night with the other med students this past week. My classmates are way more awesome than I imagined.

Cool, if you are in the eastcoast area...then medical school will be closed because of the hurricane Irene hitting the eastcoast...but good luck any ways.

i'd say 4-5 months the most, 3 months if you're willing to rush things. i studied for the mcat over a 5 month period because it was more comfortable for me to do it that way. if i was feeling sick or tired one day i would just take that day off, without feeling pressure or urgency. 5 months also took into account the possibility that i would struggle with the material and give me more time...i wouldn't do longer than 5 months because then you'll likely burn out or lose focus. 3 months puts a lot of pressure on you and there's a risk of burnout if you cram things. you have some knowledge base but the test taking elements must be learned as well. good luck!