What to eat during lunch during MCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freakazoid

Guy Friend Extraordinaire
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might seem like a non-issue in light of all the studying we have to do, but I tend to get majorly drowsy after lunch no matter what, and it's not so good for the essay, and even worse for bio (I would know, I took the MCAT once). I was wondering if any of you guys knew what would be good to eat during the lunch break . . . something that keeps your brain fed yet doesn't put you to sleep, and maybe even energizes you for the rest of the day . . .

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever you do, make sure to keep the amount of carbohydrates to a moderate level. A big plate of pasta is gonna jack up your insulin levels (a peptide hormone, secreted by the beta cells of the pancrease, stimulates glut 4 receptors to uptake glucose from the circulation, also stimulates glycogen formation...oh damn, sorry! it's just a reflex now, how embarassing). Yeah, when your insulin levels come crashing down, so will you, and then it's good night Irene!

Also, Keep your meal on the smaller side, so as not to bloat and you want to avoid keeping your circulation diverted to your gut instead of your brain.

i was wondering the same thing, wtf to eat.

I don't know about you guys, but if I eat anything heavy, like pizza, burgers or whatever, it makes me very tired and drowsy. That is just me, i know i am gonna stay away from it.

Since i am about 15 min drive from my test center, i was planning on running home, drinking a mango shake. I love those darn things, they make we wide awake.

This is just a little something that works for me, maybe i am a freak:eek: , but hey it works :p

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you make a mango shake? I'll try anything.

My mom makes a killer mango shake. Basically she just takes the skin off the mango, stick in the blender, pour in some milk, and boom :)

She has some magic touch, because when i try mine just doesn't taste the same. I guess you need another ingredient (love).

haha---the same damn thing always happens to me.. the mother preparation effect.. she makes it, its heavenly. I attempt even the simplest food/drink and its a$$. Maybe its evolutionary.

biffer

it works for me, after a mango i am good to do. i also said i am freak so ... :D

Oh yeah other thing i forget to mention. This is no joke, it improves your memory. Take about 5 or so almonds, soak them in water over night. In the morning peel the skin off and eat them, you will begin to retain a lot of stuff in your memory.

I don't know the mechanism behind it so dont ask :) But it works

can you have a snack between 10 min brk?
how about during the test, can u pull out a powerbar and munch during the test?

I like to EAT.

strictly speaking, you cannot eat or drink during the tests - even though some will say they drank from their water bottles, IIRC the rules state that you cannot and some proctors are, well, sticklers about that sort of thing.

we had to put all backpacks, etc up front and not have them with us - so on the short break you ran down to the front, grabbed something out of your pack to get the blood sugar up again - and then back to your seat.

I had 2 power bars for the april mcat and ate pieces during the breaks to keep my energy levels up. For lunch I think I had pizza actually. Prolly not the best thing to eat. Whatever you choose, just go light, enough to fill you up a bit. And don't talk about the mcat or any questions for that matter. You def. don't wanna go into the rest of the test feeling likemyou bombed it.

I would bring stomach medication if you are prone to that sort of thing or even if you're not. I brought advil, zantac, and immodium..I was prepared for the worst! I didnt need any of it but glad it was there in case.

-bonnie

Can someone recomend a good tasting powerbar that gives u lots of energy?. thanx

Originally posted by Su4n2
Can someone recomend a good tasting powerbar that gives u lots of energy?. thanx

go with nutrigrain bars. They taste really good (apply, strawberry and blueberry are my favs) and its a good amount of complex carbs to last you through the test sections.

Mango shakes rock:clap:

sun42n,

The best powerbars are Harvest bars and they have 13grams of protein! The choclate is yummy! Very filling I think nutrigrain bars are good, but they aren't really healthy at all, adn I don't get filled up.

Mr.Z,
So as insulin binds to the insulin receptor, then the phosphorylations occurs at the cells surface, then IRS-1 docking proetins phosphorylate to PI3-K..which set of a chain of reactions to AKT/PBK syntesis by SEr 473..which can sometimes lead to apotsis..through the ceramide biosynthsis pathway. Ohh yeah, I know exactly what ur talking about. Did you go to my talk last year? Lol, some may be wrong..cause I just woke up..

:laugh: Lol. REally, what lab do you work in? What are u guys doing now? I'm doing type-II diabtes and insulin resitance. I was looking at the effect of free fatty acids on the insuling signaling pathway!! Damm, I LOVE insulin resistance..my baby:love:

DrLady,

we all know how desi parents are, very superstitious. I still cant belive when i was taking the april test, my mom made me eat with left hand only for 5 thursdays in a row:laugh:

I am willing to try anything right now, even if i have to walk to the test center on my arms.

Protein Plus bars by PowerBar are great - 24 g of protein and they don't weigh you down a bit. I stay away from Nutrigrain bars because IMHO they're nothin but dressed up pop tarts!

Here's what I did for April - Brought two of the Protein Plus Bars and and snacked on about 1/2 of one during the breaks. I, fortunately, was at one of those liberal test sites, so we could drink water, etc. I brought two of those SmartWaters - no, not for the name, but for the electrolytes. The guy next to me ate an ENTIRE bag of M&Ms - you know, the pounder kind!- during the morning. How he kept the chocolate from smearing across his test bubbles was beyond me. I digress...for lunch, I packed a grilled chicken breast and a tupperware of brocolli. Sounds way boring, but it did the trick. Also, I recommend NOT going home, unless you're on a Schwinn or can walk there. No matter how yummy the Mango shakes, it seems like a HUGE risk to battle roadways, parking, trains stalled on tracks, etc.

Also, for lunch, GET AWAY FROM THE MADDENING CROWD OF PRE<MEDS!!! Since my test site was my college campus, I snuck off to the library and read a book after eating my gourmet (sarcasm) lunch. You won't believe how insane everyone is at lunch with their "What form did you have? OMIGOD, How did you do that Magnetism passage? What the hell was that art adn politics passage about?" jibber jabber. Some gals will start crying. Some guys will too. Just get away and keep your focus on being calm and in control of the test.

Finally, go out and enjoy the evening. You've earned it and you know it!!!

Oops post truncated by mysterious Kellogs executive who couldn't take my Nutrigrain diss!!!

Protein Plus bars by PowerBar are great - 24 g of protein and they don't weigh you down a bit. I stay away from Nutrigrain bars because IMHO they're nothin but dressed up pop tarts!

Here's what I did for April - Brought two of the Protein Plus Bars and and snacked on about 1/2 of one during the breaks. I, fortunately, was at one of those liberal test sites, so we could drink water, etc. I brought two of those SmartWaters - no, not for the name, but for the electrolytes. The guy next to me ate an ENTIRE bag of M&Ms - you know, the pounder kind!- during the morning. How he kept the chocolate from smearing across his test bubbles was beyond me. I digress...for lunch, I packed a grilled chicken breast and a tupperware of brocolli. Sounds way boring, but it did the trick. Also, I recommend NOT going home, unless you're on a Schwinn or can walk there. No matter how yummy the Mango shakes, it seems like a HUGE risk to battle roadways, parking, trains stalled on tracks, etc.

Also, for lunch, GET AWAY FROM THE MADDENING CROWD OF PRE-MEDS!!! Since my test site was my college campus, I snuck off to the library and read a book after eating my gourmet (sarcasm) lunch. You won't believe how insane everyone is at lunch with their "What form did you have? OMIGOD, How did you do that Magnetism passage? What the hell was that art adn politics passage about?" jibber jabber. Some gals will start crying. Some guys will too. Just get away and keep your focus on being calm and in control of the test.

Originally posted by Pinki
Oops post truncated by mysterious Kellogs executive who couldn't take my Nutrigrain diss!!!

Also, for lunch, GET AWAY FROM THE MADDENING CROWD OF PRE-MEDS!!! Since my test site was my college campus, I snuck off to the library and read a book after eating my gourmet (sarcasm) lunch. You won't believe how insane everyone is at lunch with their "What form did you have? OMIGOD, How did you do that Magnetism passage? What the hell was that art adn politics passage about?" jibber jabber. Some gals will start crying. Some guys will too. Just get away and keep your focus on being calm and in control of the test.

Thanks...I enjoyed your post. :laugh: