What to Eat for Breakfast?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmaMaya

Pre-Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm retaking the PCAT August 21st, and during the June 19th PCAT I got low blood sugar REALLY bad during the chemistry section, right before the break. When I get low blood sugar I get dizzy, sweaty, and worst of all I cant think straight. I want to prevent this happening on the August PCAT, but I'm not sure what the best meal I could eat for breakfast would be. I've done some internet searches with no luck. From what I've self diagnosed about myself, though, it looks like I might have non-diabetic reactive hypoglycemia. The reactive part means that I have a blood sugar drop about 2-4 hours after eating (as opposed to fasting hypoglycemia which occurs after 8+ hours of not eating). The material I found said too many carbs, too much sugar, or caffeine during a meal can cause this, and its better to eat many smaller meals than 3 large ones.

So, anyone got any good ideas for what I should do about breakfast before the big test? Keeping in mind that all I have access to during test break is a snack machine, but I have unlimited options for breakfast beforehand. Does anyone else have this problem?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm retaking the PCAT August 21st, and during the June 19th PCAT I got low blood sugar REALLY bad during the chemistry section, right before the break. When I get low blood sugar I get dizzy, sweaty, and worst of all I cant think straight. I want to prevent this happening on the August PCAT, but I'm not sure what the best meal I could eat for breakfast would be. I've done some internet searches with no luck. From what I've self diagnosed about myself, though, it looks like I might have non-diabetic reactive hypoglycemia. The reactive part means that I have a blood sugar drop about 2-4 hours after eating (as opposed to fasting hypoglycemia which occurs after 8+ hours of not eating). The material I found said too many carbs, too much sugar, or caffeine during a meal can cause this, and its better to eat many smaller meals than 3 large ones.

So, anyone got any good ideas for what I should do about breakfast before the big test? Keeping in mind that all I have access to during test break is a snack machine, but I have unlimited options for breakfast beforehand. Does anyone else have this problem?

I don't really know an answer to your specific problem, but I heard oatmeal if a good source of breakfast meal...although I do not know if the contents will help you in your case....sorry. >.<

How about something protein rich like eggs, bacon, sausages etc. They are known to keep you fuller for longer!

Maybe you could keep something in your pocket (granola bar or something), then if/when you finish up one of the sections early you can take a quick bathroom break and eat something when you step out of the room.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think for a week before the pcat, you should wake up everyday like you would when you are going to write the pcat and do all the same things like eating at the same time and eating the same thing. this way your body will be used to the test taking conditions and you will know exactly how much to eat, and what to eat during the break so that you dont have to worry about that kind of stuff during the exam.

I had my usual bagel.

I brought a protein bar for the break though. The first time I took it I didn't bring anything and found myself rather wore out and with a headache near the end.

I figured out what works for me...a big slice of country ham. :D
0 carbs, 0 sugar, 28g protein.

I ate a slice at 8:30 with some water and a few sips of mountain dew...didn't eat again until 4pm, and no low blood sugar at all. Bam. score.

I'll still have a snickers bar or something on the break though...but saturday morning I'll be eating country ham!

I figured out what works for me...a big slice of country ham. :D
0 carbs, 0 sugar, 28g protein.

I ate a slice at 8:30 with some water and a few sips of mountain dew...didn't eat again until 4pm, and no low blood sugar at all. Bam. score.

I'll still have a snickers bar or something on the break though...but saturday morning I'll be eating country ham!

What about those who don't eat breakfast? In the past, I usually get stomach problems from changing my "routine" because I don't eat breakfast, when I do I get stomach aches. Now, I heard bananas are good to eat before something like this. I don't eat breakfast, and when I do I get stomach problems. But I'm afriad I won't last til 1pm or something...because my test is at 8:30am. D: what should I eat?

Well, I'm hypoglycemic, and I eat a very high protein breakfast with a small Coke. This way all of my basics are covered.

Also, I used to not eat breakfast in high school, but before the SAT I at least tried to eat a couple of slices of toast and like a banana or something. Also, your break will be around 10:30ish so you should definitely bring a big snack if you don't wind up eating breakfast.

Well, I'm hypoglycemic, and I eat a very high protein breakfast with a small Coke. This way all of my basics are covered.

Also, I used to not eat breakfast in high school, but before the SAT I at least tried to eat a couple of slices of toast and like a banana or something. Also, your break will be around 10:30ish so you should definitely bring a big snack if you don't wind up eating breakfast.

We have a locker or something to put our stuff? D:

I ate some of a veggie panini (leftover from room service the night before) after I woke up, then in the parking ramp at the testing center, I ate some cashews. I am normally a breakfast eater, but I really had to force myself to eat the morning of the exam because I was so nervous that I thought I was going to vomit. That said, my weird little breakfast kept me full until almost the end of the chem section.

If you were really worried, you could probably hide some of that gel or jelly beans that marathon runners use in a pocket, then go to the bathroom and eat it if you finish verbal or bio early.

We have a locker or something to put our stuff? D:

We had to put our bags at the front of the room and were permitted to get food out at the break.