What to Expect After the Healthcare Bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is not a discussion of the merits of the healthcare bill. This is just a prep for how these things usually go after the passage of such a bill.

I'm assuming it will pass.

After the passage expect a flurry of statements on both sides about how the world has either been saved or screwed. These will go on for a few days, taper off, then resurge when the president signs the bill.

Expect the losers to talk up the fact that "this is not over" and they will sue, campaign and look at legislative ways to change it. This will taper off over a few weeks.

The debate about what this means will resurface in late summer as everyone gears up for midterms. No one will really know even then what the real impact is but the debate will resurface.

It will take several years for any real effects to trickle down such as funding, cuts, new taxes and so on.

In any case it will be years before anyone really knows what the effects are. And by that time different politicians will be in office and other legislation will have added to or taken away from the original.

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed.. but the lawsuits are coming. I read an interesting piece by a Georgetown law prof on the merits of this. There is some technical stuff but in the end I think the Supreme Court hears it and then we will know how things will be.

IIRC 38 or 39 states are gonna sue.

It has passed and we can now see that some of the changes were instant. But like you say a lot of the items in the bill will take effect over time. I think the public is a little upset because this bill appears to have been passed with a lot of people not knowing what is in it. I think it is yet to be seen how this is going to effect the health care industry, I just hope we can all get jobs.

What was instant? I haven't seen anyone who is newly insured due to it.

It has passed and we can now see that some of the changes were instant. But like you say a lot of the items in the bill will take effect over time. I think the public is a little upset because this bill appears to have been passed with a lot of people not knowing what is in it. I think it is yet to be seen how this is going to effect the health care industry, I just hope we can all get jobs.

But Skeletor told us that once it passes, we will get to find out what's in it????