What to expect next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgm92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Recently I decided to go for a gap year due to simply not feeling ready/adequately prepared for this application cycle. My grades took a dip this academic year, but it's not something that I don't feel capable of fixing. My stats are as follows:

3.34 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA (This unsuccessful academic year is really just life happening, and does not reflect my work ethic whatsoever. I am confident that I'll bring my cGPA and sGPA up to the 3.5-3.6 range by graduation. I have a large amount of classes left to take.)

A notable aspect of my science GPA is that it's greatly reduced due to a D that I recieved in calc 1 my first semester of college (later retook that class and finished the calc series with straight A's). I haven't received a science grade lower than a B since.

My extra curriculars are decent, and still being worked on:

~50 hours shadowing in a few different specialties (going to do some more shadowing this next academic year)
~60 hours of community service over the past couple years (mostly homeless shelters), starting to do more hours regularly at a local homeless shelter.
-Just started volunteering in the ER at a local hospital, will have ~150 hours or so by next June.
-Many hours of research under a distinguished professor at my university's medical school. ~2000 hours by next June. No posters or publications, but two very good letters of recommendation (one from a prominent figure in the science community) and a boat load of experience have come from this.
-Two years of community college choir, ~10hrs/week
-Taught piano lessons on the side and played music for mass at a local catholic church for a year (60-80 hours total)

Also I'm taking the September 12 mcat and following SN2ed's 3 month schedule. I'm anticipating a 30+ score. I've been working extremely hard due to the weight it will carry on my application, and I'm a very good test taker.

I'm thinking of applying for Drexel IMS as a backup, I think it's a great program and it would greatly improve my chances from what I've heard. My question is mainly, is an MD acceptance in the next application cycle possible once I bring my gpa up? Any input about Drexel IMS would be greatly appreciated as well.

P.S. My parents came here as immigrants, but I don't think I'll identify as URM on my application. To my understanding, middle-eastern falls under Caucasian.

Thanks so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.