What to expect @ NYCOM interview???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by MsDO15, Nov 9, 2002.

1. MsDO15

MsDO15 Member

Hello all...I was wondering what happens the day you go for a NYCOM interview. Unlike other schools they do not have you fill out a 2ndary application prior to the interview...is it true that they have you do it there? How is the interview itself?
    Good Luck to all!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1

Resident [Any Field]
    Id stil like to have an interview there. but from what Ive read is that they make you fill out the secondary there.

4. DOnut

DOnut Senior Member

Attending Physician
    The interview is really low stress. My advise is to bring a copy of your resume with you to the interview, and also write a paragraph or two on why you want to attend NYCOM and why Osteopathic Medicine. Bring this with you and keep it in your pocket. This way when you are filling out your secondaries, you don't have to think. You'll be nervous enough as it is. Just copy from the paper in your pocket to the secondary form.

During my interview, I talked about skiing for 15 minutes and how both the interviewer and I loved Vermont. I mean it was REALLY low stress. Everyone there is really nice. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. Just be honest, know yourself and why Osteopathic medicine. Good Luck

Oh.........and don't forget your check! :D

5. MsDO15

MsDO15 Member

Thanks for the advise DOnut. Do you or anybody else out there know how many people sit in on the interview. About how long should I expect to be there that day?
    Thanks Again! :)

6. DOnut

DOnut Senior Member

Attending Physician
    My interview was just one on one with a basic science professor. I know others who had 2 interviewers. I don't know of anyone who had more than 2. Expect to be there all day. I think it was something like 9 to 4pm. The cool thing is, they give you the opportunity to speak with the admissions director after the interview and he'll tell you whether or not your file is complete, and if the interviewers looked favorably upon your file. That's about it. When is your interview? The school is doing a major landscaping project right now, so there is nothing but tractors and dirt all over the place. I think it will look really nice when everything is done, but right now it looks kind of crazy. Good luck, and write back if you have any questions.

7. SM-UCLA tech

SM-UCLA tech CCOM MS4 soon OB/Gyn PGY1

Hey DOnut.....

thanks for the info......now I have a question for you :)

do you know what the time frame usually is for interviews?
    Specifically.....how long it usually takes before they invite once they send out the postcard that they received your aacomas?

and how long before they make a decision after an interview?

also....do they do preceptorships there in clinical years, or clerkships...or both?

thanks!

8. DOnut

DOnut Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I'm not sure how long it takes for interview letters to go out. That can range any where from now until April. I didn't interview at NYCOM until Jan. and I had my accomas application complete by mid June. I also know people who interviewed as late as April and were accepted. It's a big waiting game. After the interview, however, you usually hear within 2 weeks. I heard in 10 days exactly.

As far as preceptorships and clerkships, your clerkships are your third and forth year rotations. I believe preceptorships are similar to shadowing. I'm just a 1st year, so I don't know too much about that. I know that as a member of SOSA (student osteopathic surgical association), I can do a preceptorship this coming summer with a surgeon at Good Samaritan Hospital. I think it's for 2 weeks or something like that. Since we are medical students, we may actually be able to do somethings. I was told by several students who did the preceptorship last year that they were able to suture. There are several suturing workshops throughout the year from a couple different clubs.

I hope this helps!!

9. SM-UCLA tech

SM-UCLA tech CCOM MS4 soon OB/Gyn PGY1

yes.....thanks for the info.
    I just wanted to basically know if the bulk of years 3 and 4 were clerkships. I heard that some osteopathic schools do mostly preceptorships.

it's great to hear that you can have access to clinical experience before years 3 and 4.

10. MsDO15

MsDO15 Member

DONut...I'm interviewing at NYCOM on the 22nd...I really hope it goes well. I know that they're doing a lot of construction over there to build a quad...it's so annoying haven't to walk around those buildings but it will be worth it...it's going to look really nice when they're done. Thank goodness they have built a cafeteria...it's about time they did it. Do you know who makes the final decision as to whether you get in??? Thanks

11. DOnut

DOnut Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I'm glad I could help. Good luck to both of you.

For MsDO15, the final decision is made by an admissions committee. The committee consists of several people, some whom I don't know, but definitely Mr. Schaefer (Director of admissions), Dr. Diamond (1st year dean), and probably Dean Ross-Lee herself.

By the way.....the food in the cafeteria is great!! I was really impressed when it 1st opened. The grill items are all made to order...not premade.

Oh well back to reading. Write if you have more questions.

12. MsDO15

MsDO15 Member

DoNut...about how long after I have my interview do you think I should know whether I get in? I know some people end up not hearing until August...what's the earliest you think I will? Hearing before Christmas would be great!:cool:
    BTW, how were the 2nd block exams...I hear they were a lot harder than the first. Good Luck!:)