SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

what to expect Organic lab 1

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by sammi345, May 26, 2008.

1. sammi345

sammi345 2+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2008
    I am taking Organic chemistry 1 over the summer. I was wondering about your experiences with the lab section of organic chemistry. Is it like General Chem 2?
    Would you say it is much harder than the General chemistry labs?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.

May 23, 2008
    No its easier. Organic labs usually involve synthesizing compounds or using tests to determine the identity of an unknown compound. Just follow the procedure they give you and you should be fine.
  4. wazzz

wazzz crazy cat lady 2+ Year Member

Jul 15, 2007
    For me, organic 1 lab was much easier. There are way fewer calculations, etc. Plus the first half of organic 1 was simply learning the techniques used in organic 2 (like learning how to perform a recrystillization).
  5. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun Pharmacist Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Mar 25, 2008
    New York, New York
    I found Organic Chem Labs to be easier and more fun than General Chem Labs because I was actually making something.

General Chem Lab had too much calculations in it. There was a Pre-lab where you had to answer questions, then a lot of the procedures in the lab were just so boring and you had to work in groups(which I hate). Same thing with Physics lab.

Organic Chem lab, you are on your own and you're actually making something. It is easily more fun other than the damn lab notebook. I thought of Organic Chem lab as cooking.
  6. DreamCatcher

DreamCatcher Daylight 2+ Year Member

May 21, 2007
    Adding to what everyone said, the organic labs can be more time consuming. Be sure to read your lab manual ahead of time, and understand the theory. Knowing what reactions are occurring can help you in the long run.... It'll also make your life a LOT easier. Oh and don't hesitate to ask the TAs for help! :)
  7. bacillus1

bacillus1 7+ Year Member

May 27, 2008
    I found it quite useless in understanding organic chem. (just like general chem. lab was useless). I did find it mildly more interesting than general chemlab, but it still felt like a waste of my time. It's not harder than general chemlab at all.
  8. sammy15

sammy15 2+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2008
    New England
    I took orgo I w/lab over the summer in 4weeks. We had lab 3 days a week i think.. 2 days a week some weeks. It is easier than general chem like everyone else has said because there is barely any math, and the calculations you do have to do are mindless. It is more interesting, but far more time consuming and so much more goes into preparing for the lab. We had to read at least one chapter in the lab book (which is 3 inches thick) which explained the whole lab and we outlined a procedure, materials, answer questions, etc, prior to going to the lab, so when we got there we knew exactly what we were doing. The prof didnt tell us anything about what we had to do, only quick safety info and where we can find our materials. We were also graded on our performance during lab along with the prelab work, and post lab write up/conclusions. It is not hard, it is just extremely annoying. I thought the lecture was very interesting and loved it. I hated doing labs. (except the polymer lab where we made lots of colored balls lol)