What to expect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabadr10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a basic understanding on the application process...so if I finish my secondaries by July, when should I expect to get an interview invite (if I even get one)? Also, how long does it generally take a school to make a decision on your application after the interview? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to get a basic understanding on the application process...so if I finish my secondaries by July, when should I expect to get an interview invite (if I even get one)? Also, how long does it generally take a school to make a decision on your application after the interview? Thanks!

Once your secondaries are completed AND your primary is verified, schools begin to review your application. Most schools have rolling admissions, and they may offer you an invite as soon as the day after your application is complete (Einstein, for example), they may have a 6-8 week review process and then offer an interiview, or they may review you application and wait to see who else applies before offering you an interview (which may take as long as 6 or more). Schools that don't have rolling admissions will obviously offer invites to applicants at the same time.

Interview inivite: Anytime between Late August to Early March
Decision: Depends; some committees meet weekly; some biweekly; some release decision monthly; some release decision as they are made etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're looking for concrete answers about the most variable portion of the application process.

You may get an interview invite in late summer, maybe another in early fall, maybe another in December. Some schools may seem like they forgot about you and then all of a sudden send you an invite in March. Some schools really will forget about you. Some schools will take your secondary fees and never contact you again. Some will make you wait months between your interview and your acceptance/waitlist/rejection. Some will send you the decision a week after your interview.

It's impossible to tell what your interview season is going to be like.

Do your LORs need to be in to be considered for an interview?

Do your LORs need to be in to be considered for an interview?
With the exception of a few schools, most schools only look at your file after it is complete (Primary,2ndry,lors)