MD What to focus on during M1/M2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canmed96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In undergrad it was volunteering, focus on GPA, MCAT etc but im wondering what my focus should be in M1/M2

I'm interested in emergency medicine but of course that could change

I just want to know what i should be doing as far as observerships etc to starting building a good application

Members don't see this ad.

Your focus should be school. It literally all starts from there and then you can work your way out.

Reactions: 1 user
Classes come first. Get into a rhythm studying, then add activities here and there. Make sure they’re things you enjoy though, not just random CV builders for the sake of them; Join some clubs, and if you enjoy them see if you can find a position. Volunteer. Research. Etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finding a SO if you don't have one.

In undergrad it was volunteering, focus on GPA, MCAT etc but im wondering what my focus should be in M1/M2

I'm interested in emergency medicine but of course that could change

I just want to know what i should be doing as far as observerships etc to starting building a good application

You're a med student now, not some bum ass college nobody that has to prove your compassion in order to be accepted into med school.

If I can go back in time, I would highly suggest to learn as much as you can, don't stress out over every poor tests, and take some time off to shadow diff physicians in diff fields in order to have a sense for certain specialties.

Otherwise, study hard and either do research or maintain your sanity with some hobbies during your free time.

Don't stress unless you're gunning for Derm or Ortho.