what to gather before matriculation.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dittozip

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
been accepted to a few places and i have some time on my hands and its just easiest to do this now considering how hard some of these things can be to come by esp with summer travel plans. what sorta documents do i need to gather in preparation to matriculate at school. its still early so schools havnt told me yet, but as current students you probably know what things are common. so far ive heard i need:

1- transcripts
2- proof of CPR training
3- proof of residency

do i need a dean's letter, any other training courses, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

gather ye rosebuds.

and some ladies underwear ;)

Do you really need proof of CPR training? Mine expired long ago.....

I think this thread would be helpful, even though I have no valuable insight to add :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard of CPR training as a requirement. :confused:

depends on the school...some schools have it as a matriculation requirement, some schools have it as part of the curriculum, and some schools have it as a graduation requirement.

if u dont know where youa re going and you can get free training, might as well.

SUNY Downstate requires CPR certification PRIOR to matriculation for example. SUNY Upstate and Penn St. have not mentioned it at all in their acceptance letters, so probably just part of their cirriculum.

wow, i had NO IDEA some schools required cpr training! i'm guessing you can just get it at the local red cross??? :confused:

i believe Uva as well. right?

wow, i had NO IDEA some schools required cpr training! i'm guessing you can just get it at the local red cross??? :confused:

Red Cross sometimes does them through your local hospital. If not, try and call up the local ambulance corp., they send their members to CPR training regularly.

That's the nice thing about actually working in healthcare full time.....I'm a CPR instructor (as well as an ACLS instructor) and my employers pay for my alphabet soup (ACLS, CPR, PALS, NRP, BTLS).

get your immunization records as those will be required at all med schools

Final transcripts and proof of graduation.

get your immunization records as those will be required at all med schools

. . . .and catch up on vaccines that might be required by the insitution where you plan to matriculate. Required vaccines or titers to prove immunity vary by institution and probably/possibly include Hepatitis B, dT or preferably the newer vaccine that includes pertussis, chickenpox, polio, MMR, and meningococcus. You will probably also need a recent PPD, so don't get that until next summer.