What to look for in a masters program and how to start preparing for grad school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anc13c

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering what I should look for in a psychology masters program, because masters programs are not APA accredited. My goal is to get licensed as an LMFT or an LMHC. should it matter whether the MA is in counseling,clinical psych etc just as long as the program leads to me to be able to get licensed?

I really plan to get a doctoral degree in clinical psych in the future but want to get my masters first so I can work and put myself through school. I'm a HORRIBLE standardized test taker have been my whole life, so this puts of taking the GRE for a bit because from what I have seen most masters programs don't require it. It will also show that I can do graduate level work.

I was also wondering what type of things I should be doing to prepare to apply? I am going into my junior year have a 3.75 GPA and double majoring in psych and crim. I also plan to start getting into research this fall and some volunteering.

sorry if I rambled too much just finished my AA degree and starting uni in may so just trying to be on the right foot

Members don't see this ad.