What to look for in a Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BloodySurgeon

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now im studying for the MCATs and am just starting to try and get familiar with the med schools in the U.S. I was wondering, what are the sort of things I should be looking for in a med school and what types of things take in play when ppl rank med schools via research and primary care? I am not interested in research, however, Im starting to find out that as a med student i prob need to do research for good residency and having a prestigious school with high resources may be a factor (for clerkship and research). I have really good grades and I don't care the prestige of the school, all I really care about is good residency. Of course its gonna be factored down to what my USMLE part I score is, but how much factor does a school have on that?

Members don't see this ad.

Take into consideration location. Not only because you might not like the hustle & bustle of the city (you if that's what you want..) but because your patients will reflect upon your location. If the school's in the middle of nowhere, you probably won't get a lot of trauma/gunshot wounds/car accidents. If it's in the middle of a big city, expect a lot of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now im studying for the MCATs and am just starting to try and get familiar with the med schools in the U.S. I was wondering, what are the sort of things I should be looking for in a med school and what types of things take in play when ppl rank med schools via research and primary care? I am not interested in research, however, Im starting to find out that as a med student i prob need to do research for good residency and having a prestigious school with high resources may be a factor (for clerkship and research). I have really good grades and I don't care the prestige of the school, all I really care about is good residency. Of course its gonna be factored down to what my USMLE part I score is, but how much factor does a school have on that?

do a search -- there have been many lists of important criterion.

Worry about choosing a med school until after you've got your MCAT score in hand. Now get off SDN and go study!

Worry about choosing a med school until after you've got your MCAT score in hand. Now get off SDN and go study!

haha so true! go ace that mcat first! if u don't do well, you likely won't have luxury of choosing med schools. :luck: