• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

What to look for in a Medical School?

BloodySurgeon

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Right now im studying for the MCATs and am just starting to try and get familiar with the med schools in the U.S. I was wondering, what are the sort of things I should be looking for in a med school and what types of things take in play when ppl rank med schools via research and primary care? I am not interested in research, however, Im starting to find out that as a med student i prob need to do research for good residency and having a prestigious school with high resources may be a factor (for clerkship and research). I have really good grades and I don't care the prestige of the school, all I really care about is good residency. Of course its gonna be factored down to what my USMLE part I score is, but how much factor does a school have on that?

armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Uranus
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Take into consideration location. Not only because you might not like the hustle & bustle of the city (you if that's what you want..) but because your patients will reflect upon your location. If the school's in the middle of nowhere, you probably won't get a lot of trauma/gunshot wounds/car accidents. If it's in the middle of a big city, expect a lot of it.

About the Ads

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Right now im studying for the MCATs and am just starting to try and get familiar with the med schools in the U.S. I was wondering, what are the sort of things I should be looking for in a med school and what types of things take in play when ppl rank med schools via research and primary care? I am not interested in research, however, Im starting to find out that as a med student i prob need to do research for good residency and having a prestigious school with high resources may be a factor (for clerkship and research). I have really good grades and I don't care the prestige of the school, all I really care about is good residency. Of course its gonna be factored down to what my USMLE part I score is, but how much factor does a school have on that?

do a search -- there have been many lists of important criterion.

HumbleMD

hmmmm...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2006
East Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Worry about choosing a med school until after you've got your MCAT score in hand. Now get off SDN and go study!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.