What to look for in loupes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rectangle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school is hosting a loupes fair in person, but due to social distancing we are only allowed a very limited time during the fair. I've been told to get the highest magnification I can afford, to get a light, and to get something that feels comfortable. I also wear glasses and do not wear contacts, so are there companies that have loupes that would accommodate for that?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel all loupes brands are more or less the same. I recommend going with a high magnificiation since you will be recieving a student discount. Not sure if you plan on buying another one before you graduate but you should definitely take advantage as they are pricey.
You should also look into wireless light, it is so much more conveneient than wired, definitely recommend. As for the eye glasses situation, i am not sure but im confident they can accomodate with that. Enjoy, buying loupes is one of the exciting parts of the process

Reactions: 1 user
When I was a dental student, I bought loupes that flipped up and had a prescription eyeglasses insert.

I still use the same ones as a resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
High mag, 3.5x or higher with expanded FOV lenses.

My school is hosting a loupes fair in person, but due to social distancing we are only allowed a very limited time during the fair. I've been told to get the highest magnification I can afford, to get a light, and to get something that feels comfortable. I also wear glasses and do not wear contacts, so are there companies that have loupes that would accommodate for that?

Things to look for:
Magnification (3x minimum, too high, you get tunnel vision)
Working Distance (depends on how you work)
Field of View (get expanded field, want to see more)
Illumination (preferably high intensity light)
Bridge of the nose fit (If you don't have a prominent bridge, you want one that is comfortable, otherwise they will keep slipping)
Weight balance (is it front heavy, top heavy, balanced on the ear, does it destroy your ears?)
Prescription (which frames accept your rx, if any?)
Warranty (loupes can break easily, this is more word of mouth, because you can have warranty, but if the company is a PITA to deal with, don't go with them)
TTL or flip up or a TTL that flips up - I prefer TTL, I hate the idea of adjusting flip ups, seems like an IC issue and timewaster in terms of having to adjust. Flip ups are front heavy.

I'll add more, if I think of anymore things to look for. Not all loupes are the same.

Is there anything specific I should look for in a light? Do lights often get lopsided depending on the loupes?

Is there anything specific I should look for in a light? Do lights often get lopsided depending on the loupes?

If the mounting is proper, then the lights will always follow your loupes. I like orascoptic products; I have the EyeZoom and their Endeavour XL light system. I find that it has the best color and intensity so that I can see everything without washing the colors out. When it comes to loupes/lights, buy one and if you love them, buy a second one. You don't want to be caught dead in the water without loupes/light.

Look at the focal spot of the light, intensity, battery duration, temperature of the light (is it warm, white, etc...)? For me, I need to be able to see preps, accesses, and everything in between. You can have an ultra bright light, but if it is washing everything out (you can't see any detail), then they aren't great lights either. I'm not too well versed on the physics of lights, but there's some lights that are really bright and you can see all the detail, and there's some that are equivalently bright, but you can't see ****.

Edit: For cosmetics, you might be focusing on preps and restorative textures, but you won't be using your loupes as much when looking at the final esthetics (unless your loupes has a FOV of the entire arch). Post-op photos (with proper lighting/diffuser/etc.) will be a better judge and the naked eye in the end for cosmetics.

Last edited:
3.5x minimum expanded/prismatic, whatever company you’d like...

orascoptic is the worst, start with 3.5x and increase magnification (if you want) from there