What to look for in programs/ ask on interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WnderWmn10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as begin on the interview trail, I am starting to wonder what to look for/ ask on interviews.

What are some important things I'll want to know about the programs I'll be interviewing at?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Practice management... namely, how do they teach residents to survive in the real world. Does the resident get a chance to look behind the scenes of the operations of a clinic? Does billing/coders give residents feedback on their coding/charting? Do residents get the experience of doing quality improvement projects?

What are other program graduates doing now? What do people mostly end up doing immediately after training? If the answers don't sound like anything your interested in might be the wrong place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Below is a revival of a post from last year. I still agree with everything I wrote then.
About halfway through intern year, you will realize that your decision was based on all kinds of bogus stuff, because you didn't yet know what really mattered to you. That's just part of the learning.

You're going to work 80 hrs/week everywhere. Things that make life less painful are: not having to come in to round on weekends if you're not on call. Fewer months of q3 call. No post-call clinic as an intern. Having seniors who will help out at key times when you're struggling, instead of having rigid expectations that you must see every admission (esp when you're a new intern). We all work hard, so let's not argue about who works hardest.

Does the program give you a set schedule in June with every vacation and call day determined, so you can plan ahead for the year, or do you want the flexibility of being able to take vacation days when you please?

There are big differences btw living in different communities. That might be a factor. Do you want a smaller town, more conservative and agricultural, more entrenched cultural divides, a relatively poor community, a very high-needs patient population from whom you can learn a lot, vs. a college town, wealthier and more educated, with a different flavor of learning. Where do you want to live? Where do you want to work? Do you really want to commute?

Look at the extracurricular interests of the other residents and think, if I don't have much in common with them, what am I going to do for fun? Don't fall into the trap of thinking you'll be driving to the nearest big city for an exciting social life; in reality, not many people make those trips very often.

Look at the structure of the inpatient FM service and realize that rounding on 7+ patients each morning is a challenge for the average intern; this gets very difficult if you are simultaneously admitting medicine pts and covering L&D, for example. Is the service set up to help you stay focused and learn, or are you running all over the place? Remember that as an intern you have to do a lot more than a med student, and seeing and discharging even 5 people is a LOT of work if you have to write prescriptions, dictate, reconcile the med list, etc. Some services admit and then d/c 90% of their patients in 3 days - that's a lot of admission and d/c paperwork, and it all takes time.

Look at the faculty - how many of them are doing the things you want to be doing - e.g. OB, gyn procedures, inpt medicine, sports med, procedures, C/S - ideally, you need to have more than 1 person doing the things you like. There is a big diff btw wanting to do optional procedures and being expected to do them. If you are expected to do them, then there will be adequate teaching/supervision available. If it's optional, you will have to work harder b/c you'll be out of the norm, and you may find there's no one to supervise you.

Look at the clinic pt population and their problem lists - are you going to see a good range of pathology in your areas of interest? or are you going to end up with 90% prenatal? or 90% older pts with chronic disease and comorbid psych problems? you need a good variety. How much sports med/MSK stuff does your clinic do, if that's important? guys, there needs to be enough ob/gyn that you will get enough continuity deliveries + women's health even when 80% of female pts want to see a female provider. Girls, there need to be enough male pts that you will get to do well-man checks and get comfortable with gender-specific issues.

What kind of performance feedback do you get from the faculty? You should be getting structured, 1:1 verbal feedback from a faculty member 2x/year, and other informal feedback more often, esp when you're just starting. Are the seniors good about helping you improve, or do people criticize behind each other's backs? Are the faculty open to improving - do you hear them talk about skills they are working on as teachers and clinicians? Is there an open environment where everyone supports each other in learning (faculty and residents), or is everyone busy criticizing?

If you want to make any money as a doctor, go to a program where you have to do your own billing at least for clinic visits. This is a painful but necessary long-term learning process and needs to be integrated into your learning.

Finally, some parts of the US are very liberal or very conservative, so be realistic (not idealistic) about the religious/political views of your coworkers, and choose an environment that you will be comfortable working in.

good luck

Look at the structure of the inpatient FM service and realize that rounding on 7+ patients each morning is a challenge for the average intern; this gets very difficult if you are simultaneously admitting medicine pts and covering L&D, for example. Is the service set up to help you stay focused and learn, or are you running all over the place? Remember that as an intern you have to do a lot more than a med student, and seeing and discharging even 5 people is a LOT of work if you have to write prescriptions, dictate, reconcile the med list, etc. Some services admit and then d/c 90% of their patients in 3 days - that's a lot of admission and d/c paperwork, and it all takes time.

This sounds like my story :-( Only its worse- we have 10-12 patients per intern each morning, and then everybody leaving in next few days. I end up working the whole day and then doing dictations at home. I absolutely have no life during inpatient rotations. And we have clinic on post-call days, apparantly coz acgme allows FM clinic post-call. Also, we are on call all 12 months and we take "county" call every 4th day which was not revealed to me when I interviewed.
Looking back, I feel I should have probed deeper into call schedule. But the county call really was a shocker b/c ours is a private hospital but there is also a "county" wing and we have to take those patients too apart from our assigned patients which really sucks when you end up with 9-12 admissions.

we have clinic on post-call days, apparantly coz acgme allows FM clinic post-call
we do too - there is a lot of pressure for everyone to get their clinic visit numbers

we are on call all 12 months
this sounds miserable - we have 2 whole months with no call intern year, which feels almost like vacation!

And we have clinic on post-call days, apparantly coz acgme allows FM clinic post-call.

From the ACGME website

E.
On-call Activities
In-house call must occur no more frequently than every third night, averaged over a four-week period.
Continuous on-site duty, including in-house call, must not exceed 24 consecutive hours. Residents may remain on duty for up to six additional hours to participate in didactic activities, transfer care of patients, conduct outpatient clinics, and maintain continuity of medical and surgical care.
a)
For family medicine programs, the only out-patient activity allowed is the scheduled continuity office hours in the FMC, and/or self-directed activities. No other clinical duties are permitted. FM residents may not have continuity office hours in the afternoon or evening following an overnight call responsibility. Directors are responsible for anticipatory scheduling to avoid having to cancel patient appointments for afternoon FMC continuity sessions following overnight call.

If your clinics are in the am post call, then sorry, it is allowed. But if your post call clinics are after noon, then they are absolutely a duty hour violation.

How much "protected" didactic time you have per week

What their graduates are doing now

Camaraderie between residents

If this is an "opposed" program with other specialties, how hard is it to get certain procedures? Do residents have a hard time getting their minimum requirements (i.e. deliveries).

Something I was told just recently --

1) Think about how many interns are there and see how many times they take call per week. Should be a correlation-- so if you have a small class (say 6 or less) = a lot more call than a class of 8 or 10.

2) Do they have pediatricians teaching pediatrics and OB/Gyns teaching OB/Gyn? As faculty? If not, it may be hit or miss learning from private attendings.

Something I was told just recently --

1) Think about how many interns are there and see how many times they take call per week. Should be a correlation-- so if you have a small class (say 6 or less) = a lot more call than a class of 8 or 10.

2) Do they have pediatricians teaching pediatrics and OB/Gyns teaching OB/Gyn? As faculty? If not, it may be hit or miss learning from private attendings.

If you're in an opposed program, #1 is not a big deal because you join a call pool with other residencies. If you're at an unopposed program, #1 is a big deal because you are the call pool. And if takes time off, does an away elective, goes on vacation, leave of absence, fails, quits, gets pregnant, it increases call for everyone else.

Call frequency may or may not be a big deal to you. You learn a lot during call because of the autonomy, but family medicine differs a little bit because you have outpatient rotations/experiences. The more you take call, the more post-call days you have. It's not a big deal if you're on an inpatient rotation/program with 24/7 coverage obligations, where everyday is a work day. But if you're doing outpatient stuff, where the learning experience only happens M-F between 8-5, every post-call day during the week reduces your exposure to that outpatient experience.

This is a nuance in scheduling that most med students & residents aren't aware of.

So, look to see how call & rotations are structured. Figure out how does the frequency of call (and therefore post-call days) impact your clinical exposure.

---------

The #2 point is a very big deal too. It's always best to have dedicated faculty to the residents. Volunteer/community docs are great and gives you a window into the real world. Just recognize that the education of residents isn't always their top priority.