blackberryman

10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2009
Status
Hey,

Basically I am confused as to what to major in. I was thinking about Economics but then i was thinking how would that be possible?

FRESH YEAR

Gen Bio
Gen Chem
Calc I
Expository Writing

SOPH YEAR

Genetics
Org. Chem
Gen Physics

Now when would i get a chance to do my Major Requirements? Junior and Senior year?

icedspice

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2009
Status
Dental Student
You could choose any major you want...
only difference is that you will be taking upper division biology classes instead of fun electives.

Most schools have these requirements:
Biology: 6 + 2 lab
Chemistry: 6+2lab
O.Chem: 6+2 lab
Physics: 6 + 2 lab
Biochem: 3 hours
English: 6 hours
Math: 4...some require 8 hours

On top of these, most dental schools would hiiiighly recommend you take some upper division biologies such as: anatomy and physiology, cell bio, histology, vertebrate physiology, pharmacology, etc...

I did my major with all these prereqs and I am graduating a semester early - I took my basics (English, Govt, Econ) at community college. my basic bio came from AP credit.. but I wouldnt recommend that - most grad schools dont like it :(

so you can really do what you like too... you just have to squeeze in time for the prereqs :)

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status
Academic Administration
Major in something you enjoy and what you wouldn't mind doing if you did not pursue the dentistry route.

BiomajorPreDent

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Status
Dental Student
+1

It is easier to be a physical science major, like biology, because you will not only have all the pre-recs done, but you will have upper divison classes

Plus, you will be solid for the DAT

Like was said above, if you are a non-science major, the only real "required" pre recs for dental school are

Bio 1 and 2 with lab
Chem 1 and 2 with lab
OChem 1 and 2 with lab
Physics 1 and 2 with lab

Really just 8 classes, but it will be hard to get in without upper division classes I would think.

Andrew324

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
There are lots of business/economics majors.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist

sketo43

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I say to major in something you enjoy and think you can get good grades in. If you have trouble finishing all the pre-dental requirements in 4 years, then take an extra year or do a postbac. Or you could take some summer classes.