What to make of these AAMC scores...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthoboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Okay, so I just took AAMC 5 and I am mentally exhausted. So far I took AAMC 3, 4, and 5, and I am wondering if my scores are on the right track.

AAMC 3: 26: 9 PS, 6 VR, 11 BS
AAMC 4: 29: 12 PS, 7 VR, 10 BS
AAMC 5: 30: 11 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS

I don't know if the VR was a fluke on the last one or not, but I was more concentrated this time during that section. Should I be worried that my BS is slowly dropping? Two passages on BS destroyed me (one Bio and one Organic), and that's where most of the errors were.

I am really disappointed because I really wanted this test to be a big kicker and motivator (My test is in two weeks).
You doing good so far...Keep taking more practice test.

Okay, so I just took AAMC 5 and I am mentally exhausted. So far I took AAMC 3, 4, and 5, and I am wondering if my scores are on the right track.

AAMC 3: 26: 9 PS, 6 VR, 11 BS
AAMC 4: 29: 12 PS, 7 VR, 10 BS
AAMC 5: 30: 11 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS

I don't know if the VR was a fluke on the last one or not, but I was more concentrated this time during that section. Should I be worried that my BS is slowly dropping? Two passages on BS destroyed me (one Bio and one Organic), and that's where most of the errors were.

I am really disappointed because I really wanted this test to be a big kicker and motivator (My test is in two weeks).

gotta work on stamina... those are easier end of FL exams too

I would mix in some harder FLs other than AAMCs just to improve ur stamina

Members don't see this ad :)
Thing is I only have two weeks left. I was planning on taking the rest of the AAMCs, taking one every other day and reviewing on off days. And yes, stamina is a big thing. I gotta regulate my eating too.

Is there anything I can do to address the BS drop? Anything else I can do to improve?

if content is not an issue then it's a matter of integrating and analyzing information
9 is a red flag for lack of content prep... I would say read over weak areas and try to keep clear-headed during the FLs... I would also do additional passages in addition to FLs... I do FL/day and I'm so used to it that stamina is not a concern..

i wouldn't flag your orgo skills just yet... if i remember correctly the earlier tests put more emphasis than was needed on orgo. scores look fine to me. i mean, the point of these tests is to improve and learn from mistakes..

however, i'm concerned with 2 weeks left that you will burn out by doing to many FL's, but you definitely need to do a few more. at this point, 3 is not enough. are you picking up on the style of the test, such as the way passages, questions, and answer types are presented? that might even be more important than knowledge of content, which im sure you have at this point. i would pick 2 or 3 of the more recent tests. maybe 8, 9 and 11? they are difficult but more representative of the real thing. you'll get a good feel for where you're at and where you need to be. then you can review the exams, see what skills your lacking, see what test elements you need to improve on, and do a final content review.

it would normally take me 3 days to recover mentally and physically from an FL. it's key to go into test day feeling prepared, knowing what to expect, but fresh.

i wouldn't flag your orgo skills just yet... if i remember correctly the earlier tests put more emphasis than was needed on orgo. scores look fine to me. i mean, the point of these tests is to improve and learn from mistakes..

however, i'm concerned with 2 weeks left that you will burn out by doing to many FL's, but you definitely need to do a few more. at this point, 3 is not enough. are you picking up on the style of the test, such as the way passages, questions, and answer types are presented? that might even be more important than knowledge of content, which im sure you have at this point. i would pick 2 or 3 of the more recent tests. maybe 8, 9 and 11? they are difficult but more representative of the real thing. you'll get a good feel for where you're at and where you need to be. then you can review the exams, see what skills your lacking, see what test elements you need to improve on, and do a final content review.

it would normally take me 3 days to recover mentally and physically from an FL. it's key to go into test day feeling prepared, knowing what to expect, but fresh.

varies for different people... imo FL/2days is absolutely manageable

I agree with kehlsh. Ive been doing an FL everyday for the past week... doing AAMC but throwing in Kaplan ones as well (i got them off of someone, and they are really old and long, so i figured it would be good for stamina) . I do them in the morning, then just chill out and review them at night (take 4 hours to review... go over each question carefully... practically redo the verbal without the time limit). And if i do feel like im about to burn-out... or i cant handle it, i do take a day off... all i did yesterday was watch movies, lol.
but this defiantly helped me...

my scores so far:
AAMC 3: 28 (i actually cried, i heard this was the easiest)
Kaplan 2: 29
AAMC 5: 27 (again... wanted to die and give up on the MCAT)
AAMC 7: 33 (yayy motivation)
Kaplan 6: 30
AAMC 9: 35 (today- now im totally pumped)

... and hopefully it stays that way... doing 8 tmrw, and i skipped 4 so i have to tackle that soon too. My test is on Sept. 1st... and im so glad i decided to do these, i mean after content review is done- it really is all about getting in the right mood and getting ur brain use to the MCAT style, and i think this helped me.

Everyones different, but doing FLs really did work for me, and doing one everyday is hard work, but i think its worth it, its been a week (minus one day break) and i thinks its totally do-able.

You have two weeks... dont stress too much- just keep practicing. It really does help, and yea... make sure u have content down- but if u review well enough, i feel like the content will come to you, as long as you have studied it once.

Thats just my opinion. Good luuuck :)