what to pack for interview trip?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olemissbabydoc

Baby Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
besides the obvious (directions, suit and shoes) what else should I pack for the big trip?

Members don't see this ad.

copies of all your essays for that school and other info about the school. to look over the night before or morning of.

This may seem absurdly self-evident, but if you're going to an interview that isn't far away (state school perhaps), and you have a significant other/spouse that will accompany you, it can really save on frustration/money finding a place to park, you don't have to worry about your belonging being unattended anywhere (if you didn't get another night at your hotel), and you will have curb-side service.

Again this doesn't really address "what to pack?", but it was one of the good things I did for my interview.

Otherwise, +1 on your PS/secondary, AMCAS, and any other letter/essay you may have submitted. I would not bring one of those leather portfolios; they will almost assuredly give you a folder of material and it's unnecessary in my opinion. If you have questions you want to ask, possibly better to fold them up on one sheet and keep it in a pocket for a quick glance--I did this, and figured it would be better and more believable than looking at notes when asked if I have questions. Whatever suits you, though :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget shower slippers, if you'll be staying in a dorm room or with a student host. Take an alarm clock and possibly a towel if you won't be in a hotel.

Lint roller and travel sized downy wrinkle release. If you're staying somewhere with an iron and ironing board you can skip the wrinkle release so that you can carry your luggage on. The store bottles are unfortunately more than they allow on the plane.

you guys are amazing! thanks for the tips! its not too far of a trip for me, abt two hrs, and I'm taking mom to pay for the hotel room :)

I agree... thank you all for your help

make sure you check the weather and plan accordingly... it really sucks to be walking around in your nice suit and get drenched if it rains. for trips that i flew out, i always brought a small umbrella just in case.

I'm actually for bringing the black portfolios, it looks a tad more professional than carrying around the generic white folder. Not that it honestly ends up making that much of a difference either way, just a personal preference.

Lint roller and travel sized downy wrinkle release. If you're staying somewhere with an iron and ironing board you can skip the wrinkle release so that you can carry your luggage on. The store bottles are unfortunately more than they allow on the plane.

Downy wrinkle release, that's clever. I didn't even think of that.

I second the lint roller. The first host I stayed with had cats. White cat hair + black suit = not good.

Everything mentioned above (including the ubiquitous black portfolio), comfortable shoes for the ride back, magazine or something to read during downtime, extra pair of pantyhose, bottle of water, some snacks...

Tide on the Go (or similar on-the-spot stain remover stick). Even better, if possible, bring an extra shirt to wear underneath your suit. I got a small stain on my shirt an hour before I was to leave for my interview so it helped to have the extra shirt to wear.

I second the poster with the alarm clock idea. At one of the hotels where I stayed the hotel alarm didn't even work, so it's a good idea to bring your own reliable alarm.

Good luck! Just relax and be yourself, and you'll do great! :)

Make sure to pack TIC TACS!!!! I know it sounds odd but if you have bad breath, this is a lifesaver. Anybreathmint would do though, as you never know what breath you might get eating lunch.

This might not make a difference to you, but I always stick a few tissues and cough drops in my pocket just in case. I'd much rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them. At my interview I didn't end up needing them, but one of the other interviewee's started a nasty coughing fit. He was pretty grateful when I offered him a cough drop since he hadn't brought any. Hey, we're all in this thing together, right? :)

Someone might have said this, but medicine.
Tylenol, immodium, peptobismol, or whatever you have used in the past to treat upset-whatever.

I just picture that scene in Van Wilder where the DIK guy gets massive runs during his interview. No one wants that.

I repackage my facial cleanser, shampoo, conditioner, and bodywash into airline approved 3oz containers, because it helps me to have familiar cleaning products on hand. Especially facial cleanser and body wash. It just gives me a confidence boost to feel really CLEAN on the day of my interview.

It might be common sense, but if there's something you think you MIGHT need and can't decide whether to take or not, just pack it. I considered possibly bringing toothpaste, tweezers, and fingernail clippers but left them at home and ended up needing all 3. You definitely don't want to go to the interview obsessing about that hangnail or whatever.

I repackage my facial cleanser, shampoo, conditioner, and bodywash into airline approved 3oz containers, because it helps me to have familiar cleaning products on hand. Especially facial cleanser and body wash. It just gives me a confidence boost to feel really CLEAN on the day of my interview.

You should check out the Nalgene website. They have a really cool set of airline approved containers for cheap.

Remember the sewing kit along with a matching button.

condoms. like, the value pack.

you never know man.

Someone might have said this, but medicine.
Tylenol, immodium, peptobismol, or whatever you have used in the past to treat upset-whatever.

I second this. Definitely if you go on a long flight, a small bottle or travel envelope/pack of tylenol, benadryl, or such should be taken. After my interview at Philly I was so sick. I felt that I had a cold or something right before my interview, and a few hours after my interview, I was messed up. And flying while being seriously congested really sucks.