What to review for Physics II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pete415273

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting Physics II in a couple of weeks. I did well in Physics I, but it was 12 years ago. I contemplated retaking Physics I, but time constraints...etc. Any recent takers have advice on what I need to catch up. I'm sure I don't remember much from the first time.

Members don't see this ad.

Review all of your projectile stuff. That's about it. There's some need to remember acceleration stuff for moving particles in electric and magnetic field. I didn't review any and found physics 2 to be easier than the first course. But that's just me.

Magnetism, optics, capacitors, resistors, etc. Lots of it is totally different from the physics 1 material.

Yeah the only things that really recur in Physics II from Physics I are velocity/acceleration of moving particles, conservation of energy, projectiles, and maybe a little circular motion stuff depending on your prof. Circuits are extremely easy so that's why a lot of people say they find Physics II easier than Physics I, but electric fields/magnetic fields do throw a lot of people for a loop because it's hard to visualize (especially if you aren't taking calc-based because they are really near impossible to explain without the calculus). I wouldn't worry too much about having taken Physics I so long ago. The few things that might show up are usually reviewed before jumping into doing problems with them.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished Physics II and there is almost no relation to physics I material.

Maybe review waves the the trig associated with waves.

If you are using the Cutnell Book waves are in Chpt 16&17. The idea of waves relates to electromagnetic waves and light waves....

Ahhh...I just completed what you are about to start. I did not review anything from Physics I. It's not really related. Review your trig. That's the best advice I can give you.

Well, the overlap isn't huge, but I'd recommend a basic review of vectors, energy conservation, translational and rotational equilibrium (just basic, not in depth), harmonic motion (for when you learn about waves/light and inductors, etc.), and maybe some some essential differential and integral calculus (i.e., if you are taking a calculus-based physics, of course), otherwise high school level trigonometry will do.

I see that the last time that you took physics I was 12 years ago. I'd probably check with your advisor if that's okay. Some medical schools require pre-medical classes be less than 10 years old. You might need to take Physics I anyway.