What to say if you haven't shadowed a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittywitty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I haven't shadowed a DO before, but I have had experience shadowing/working for an MD, what should one say during interviews and they ask why DO? or what should one write in the secondaries asking about why DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Read upon the history of a DO. If you seem knowledgeable enough about the osteopathic profession, you might be able to slide away without actually shadowing a DO. Know a real answer about why you specifically want to go DO instead of MD, because that will be asked most likely during all your interviews. Also, don't have a cliche answer such as, I want to treat patients holistically, or I wanna learn OMM. Most physicians treat patients holistically now, and simply stating you want to learn OMM without fully realizing its capabilities will look really poorly.

Reactions: 1 user
Ask the MD why he thinks DO isn't a bad option. I've had plenty of MDs give me great feedback about the DO profession, it may surprise you what he/she is able to come up with.

Honestly, most schools don't expect you to have a revelatory answer to the 'why DO' question. Saying things like I'm interested in learning about OMM or I want to have as many tools/techniques in my repertoire when treating patients are both perfectly acceptable answers. A good or just okay answer to this question won't look bad (unless you're a borderline applicant, then you'll want to nail every question), but a bad answer can really kill your chances. Most interviewers have heard any answer you can give 100 times before, so don't worry about coming up with some amazing response to blow them away. Just do some research, figure out what appeals to you, and go with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools require a D.O. letter, and some even require that you have shadowed a D.O. to matriculate after acceptance. So in short, shadow a D.O.

Would it be okay to shadow a DO for just a couple of months? Because that about how much time left I have before applications roll around. Or should I wait another cycle to apply?

I can't imagine shadowing a DO a few months prior to applying would hurt if you have other clinical experiences that you started earlier (1.5+ years ago). I'm not entirely sure though.

I know medical school adcoms don't like people to fit in all clinical experiences 6 months prior to applying because it looks like one is "cramming." But if you have other clinical experiences from a while back it should be okay.

@Goro can verify!!

Shadow a DO even if it is just fora few months.

I shadowed I already knew just once and he wrote me a letter. It may have been a 12 hour shift but it was just once.

Just be inquisitive, ask questions regardless of how stupid you think they are. Most important is you are there to learn and work. Stay off your phone and try to stay moving the entire time.

I shadowed I already knew just once and he wrote me a letter. It may have been a 12 hour shift but it was just once.

Just be inquisitive, ask questions regardless of how stupid you think they are. Most important is you are there to learn and work. Stay off your phone and try to stay moving the entire time.

What are some of the types of questions you think are important to ask a DO? I'm trying to compile a list to make the most out of my shadowing experiences.

I can't help you with this one kitty, you're going to have to answer this from the heart.

If I haven't shadowed a DO before, but I have had experience shadowing/working for an MD, what should one say during interviews and they ask why DO? or what should one write in the secondaries asking about why DO?

Would it be okay to shadow a DO for just a couple of months? Because that about how much time left I have before applications roll around. Or should I wait another cycle to apply?

I can't imagine shadowing a DO a few months prior to applying would hurt if you have other clinical experiences that you started earlier (1.5+ years ago). I'm not entirely sure though.

I know medical school adcoms don't like people to fit in all clinical experiences 6 months prior to applying because it looks like one is "cramming." But if you have other clinical experiences from a while back it should be okay.

@Goro can verify!!

She's also wondering if it would be a better idea to apply next cycle? I figure she can still apply this cycle as long as she fits in some shadowing experience these next few months. I think it wouldn't be a big deal as long as she has other clinical experiences from awhile ago. Thoughts?

Would shadowing a few months prior to applying be seen as cramming?

@Goro

I don't think shadowing at the last minute is seen as seriously negative as patient contact work. One can start and always state in the app that in "Planned Activities" that shadowing is on the list. Then one can discuss it at interviews.

What are some of the types of questions you think are important to ask a DO? I'm trying to compile a list to make the most out of my shadowing experiences.

Everything that you see that you don't understand, every procedure ask the why/how. See if they'll let you get your hands in the mix. When they ask patients questions ask why they ask those questions. Ask why they like DO, what they think the difference between MD/DO is, if there are advantages or disadvantages.

You are not a physician, so literally every moment has the opportunity to be a learning moment.

Work at finding a DO...it will be helpful. A DO letter is a great asset. While many schools don't require it, I know mine was brought up at each interview favorably. I do not think timing really matters that much. I ended up doing shadowing the month before submitting my application. There are not a glut of DO's around and the one that I found required my driving 140 miles round trip for each shift. I finished up classes and took the MCAT in May, shadowed all of May waiting for my MCAT score and then submitted my application. I had a good many interview invites and was accepted at each of the school where I attended the interviews. While I was certainly asked about the shadowing experience and what I gained from it, I was never questioned as to the timing of it.

Lets get real folks. Finding a DO to shadow is not an easy task and most of us don't have the privilege of being able to travel over a hundred miles for shifts. If it were easy, we wouldn't have a plethora of people asking how, why, or if. I saw stats somewhere that most applicants had not shadowed a DO - and many were still accepted. While I think it would be a great asset to an application(and for your personal knowledge) and yes, a few schools require it, we can't expect everyone to be able to do it. Many DOs, especially those who do OMM also have med students come in to shadow, so pre-meds are not high priority. I have heard of some applicants asking DOs who they know (through family or friends) for a reference letter or shadowing ops but other than that it is not that easy. Definitely not something to leave to the last minute.

I don't think shadowing at the last minute is seen as seriously negative as patient contact work. One can start and always state in the app that in "Planned Activities" that shadowing is on the list. Then one can discuss it at interviews.

First off, thanks to everybody who posted with advice/questions! It definitely helped!

@Goro does "planned activities" on the app refer to activities I plan to do after I submit my app, but have yet to start? (sorry if that's a stupid question! :) )

Also, here are my stats just for a point of reference.. 3.6 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 28 MCAT (10/8/10), and I have prior shadowing experience with a pediatrician, interned at a hospital for over a year, and worked with an MD for over a year and published a paper with him (though I'm not the first or second author), TA for a professor, and some other stuff but aren't clinical-related.

My top choices right now are Western in Pomona and Tuoro in Vallejo, though I do plan on applying broadly as long as my LOR requirements are met. Any advice or insight as to whether you think I have a fairly good shot at those two schools would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.