What to say when they ask you "why you over ever other 3.x?"

Feb 1, 2010
Ohio
Status
Pre-Medical
Just curious...I don't think answering 'because I'm totally b.a. and everyone else applying here are total tools" will suffice, lol.

EDIT: If an interviewer asks "why should we accept you over applicants with the exact same statistics?" Sorry I didn't want to try and squeeze in a huge title. Anyways, I'm not sure how to answer sufficiently without sounding arrogant.

Last edited:

auburnO5

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I get what you're saying... but I had to read your title and post about 4 times before it started making sense.

loveoforganic

-Account Deactivated-
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Status
This is one of the most incoherent things I've ever read, and a large part of my psychology research involves analyzing essays written by people in juvenille detention centers.

Oct 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Maybe I am turning dyslexic, but I had a hard time reading your title and post smoothly. :(
What do these sentences mean?
This is one of the most incoherent things I've ever read, and a large part of my psychology research involves analyzing essays written by people in juvenille detention centers.

Are you guys just being rude, or seriously that bad at reading? There's nothing wrong with the OP.

Anyway, if someone seriously asked me this question, I'd say:

"There are a lot of people who will make good doctors, I am one of them because xxxx xxxx xxxx and xxxx."

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
Are you guys just being rude, or seriously that bad at reading? There's nothing wrong with the OP.

Anyway, if someone seriously asked me this question, I'd say:

"There are a lot of people who will make good doctors, I am one of them because xxxx xxxx xxxx and xxxx."
He dropped the Y from EVERY.
And I don't know what 3.x means.

AUD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2008
Delaware
Status
Medical Student
I think the OP is asking, "How do you respond to the question, 'why are you better than the other applicants who also have high GPA's?'"

He says, with sarcasm, that replying, "I'm bad ass and the other applicants are fools" probably isn't good enough.

At least, that's what I got from it:D

loveoforganic

-Account Deactivated-
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Status
I understand it now, and it's honestly not all that bad. I was not joking though. Something about that missing 'y' and dangling pronoun really threw me off.

Frazier

Emergentologist
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
US
I think the OP is asking, "How do you respond to the question, 'why are you better than the other applicants who also have high GPA's?'"

He says, with sarcasm, that replying, "I'm bad ass and the other applicants are fools" probably isn't good enough.
I see you are utilizing such technologies as:

Dec 3, 2009
Status
Medical Student
The title of this thread along with some of the replies from confused sdn folks had me rolling. Thanks for the laugh OP...really needed it:D:D:D

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Just curious...I don't think answering 'because I'm totally b.a. and everyone else applying here are total tools" will suffice, lol.

EDIT: If an interviewer asks "why should we accept you over applicants with the exact same statistics?" Sorry I didn't want to try and squeeze in a huge title. Anyways, I'm not sure how to answer sufficiently without sounding arrogant.
Well as much as it would be fun to say I'm a badass. Personally I'd be rather condescending and say that if i'm being interviewed then I'm already likely better then more then enough people.

tartrate

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2007
Status
Another way to interpret it might be, what makes you unique? What can you bring to our class?

CapnCrunch

You've been Crunchitized!
Aug 18, 2009
Cereal Box
Status
Pre-Medical
Basically, it's a, "What makes you unique?" question. Talk about a special EC, your compassion, or a hobby that most "normal" people don't do.

Hoody

Removed
Jul 1, 2009
Status
Now I may not be the worst or the best
But you gotta respect my honesty
And I may break your heart
But I don't really think there's anybody as bomb as me..

Oct 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Now I may not be the worst or the best
But you gotta respect my honesty
And I may break your heart
But I don't really think there's anybody as bomb as me..
I wanna be the very best
Like noone ever was
To cure them is my real test
To treat them is my cause
I will travel across the land
Searching far and wide
Tach premeds to understand
The power that's inside

Pills Of Soap

iBrawl
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2009
Sunny
Status
Medical Student

At least, that's what I got from it:D
I believe he said tools. Not quite the same :laugh:

CaliGirl14

No worries.
Removed
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2009
You tell them how your life got flipped-turned upside down and you'd like to take a minute and sit right there and tell him how you became the prince of a town called Bel Air...

Nov 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I actually had to read the title about 4x too...
I think a better way to phrase it is: why should we accept you over someone with a GPA of 4.0

brianmartin

10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Tell your interviewer "I'm so fly, I got a 3.X gpa it's reason enough to accept me." If he doesn't go for that, take a twenty out of your jacket and place it on his desk. Then stare at him.

stimulus package
Dec 8, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Tell your interviewer "I'm so fly, I got a 3.X gpa it's reason enough to accept me." If he doesn't go for that, take a twenty out of your jacket and place it on his desk. Then stare at him.
:laugh:

i just thought of how that would play out irl. the adcom would probably think you were propositioning him. you'd slap the money down. stare. say, "think about it. i'll be in the other room. let me know when you're ready."

he'd be all :eek:whaaaaa

edit: i thought i dyslexic was when reading post there up.

jboz

Removed
Mar 21, 2010
Status
You tell them how your life got flipped-turned upside down and you'd like to take a minute and sit right there and tell him how you became the prince of a town called Bel Air...
LOL, needed a good laugh after my night class!

Janieve

Professional Antagonist
Oct 22, 2009
Varies.
Status
Pre-Medical
If I were the OP, I'd talk about my baller spelling and grammar. You know, my ability to type coherent sentences and ask questions that make sense. I'd seal the deal with my skill in proofreading and editing, then just sit back and let the acceptances stack up. ;)

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
If I were the OP, I'd talk about my baller spelling and grammar. You know, my ability to type coherent sentences and ask questions that make sense. I'd seal the deal with my skill in proofreading and editing, then just sit back and let the acceptances stack up. ;)
I lol'ed.

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
since better I ever applicants than done 3.x have extracurriculars I desire my demonstrate doctor be to.

marble30

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This thread makes me question my ability to understand written English. Not cool.

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical

WTH are you talking about?

akinetopsia

some dude
10+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
The Upside Down
Status
Medical Student
I would simply say, "Unlike other applicants with a 3.X GPA, I can speak with an English accent."