What to study as an intern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezekiel20

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I start internship tomorrow. I'm at the Westmead network, and will start with a colorectal surg term at Blacktown.

For those of you who have done internship, do you have any advice on studying during intern year?

I realise that lots of people forget a lot of the theory learnt in med school, so I plan on doing a bit of study each night, even if it's an hour or less.

As I'm interested in surgery, I will try to keep my anatomy fresh and have also started reading the Washington manual.

What did you study during internship that helped you, and what would you do differently if you could do it again?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally found uptodate quite useful for my medical terms but if you can get the OnCall series of books and Guide to Internship you will find that quite useful.

The theoretical stuff you learned in medical school might be slightly different then the more hands on stuff you need to know for the wards. Things like fluid replacement, basic electrolyte management etc. as well as having a good enough medical knowledge to manage your ward patients is what I was expected to know for surgery.

More then anything I think internship is about time management and organisation.

Last edited: