what to study for genetics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fullset

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading a lot of posts on 5/27 test, I think there was a LOT of genetics tested. Also, it seems like a general trend of increasing genetics and less o-chem. What do you guys suggest we need to read to get really good in genetics?? Is EK bio sufficient, or should I pick up the Campbell/Reece bio book and review genetics?

Members don't see this ad.

know how to interpret pedigrees, and be familiar with punnet square and the typical genetic ratios : ie 1:2:1, 3:1 , 9:3:3:1.

I thought the 5/27 test was more molecular biology than genetics. I guess if you wanted to call it all genetics, then you could derive genetics into molecular biology pertaining to gene expression and regulation versus genetics pertaining to population factors. You definitely wanted to be strong in the former for the 5/27 test.

You need to be able to read experimental protocols, interpret the abbreviations quickly, and then understand the data for molecular biology experiments. The best way to reach this goal is to involve yourself with undergraduate research. The other option is to read some Cell or Nature papers. If you can make heads and tails of that type of reading in ~30 minutes, then you probably will be ready for a test that mimics the 5/27 test.

I thought the 5/27 test was more molecular biology than genetics. I guess if you wanted to call it all genetics, then you could derive genetics into molecular biology pertaining to gene expression and regulation versus genetics pertaining to population factors. You definitely wanted to be strong in the former for the 5/27 test.

You need to be able to read experimental protocols, interpret the abbreviations quickly, and then understand the data for molecular biology experiments. The best way to reach this goal is to involve yourself with undergraduate research. The other option is to read some Cell or Nature papers. If you can make heads and tails of that type of reading in ~30 minutes, then you probably will be ready for a test that mimics the 5/27 test.

I didn't think molecular biology is part of a "normal" undergrad bio curriculum at any university! Hopefully the curve is ridiculous for tests that are genetics/molecular bio heavy.