What to take to boost science gpa during lag year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lhnov

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been discussed on several threads, but i just wanted to confirm some things.

I just graduated this past May with a social science degree. I was planning to take 2 science courses this spring to raise my science GPA while I study for the MCATs in early April. I will definitely be taking biochem, but I'm having trouble deciding the second class or if I should take another class at all.

I can't take most of the upper level science courses offered at my school because I don't have the necessary prerequisites. There is a biogeochemistry course that sounds rather interesting that is crosslisted as a biology and environmental science course that I would be able to take, but I do not know if med schools would see this as a cop out, especially since I'm taking the class during a lag year. Or, would it actually be beneficial for me to take it to raise my BCPM? Thoughts?

How about micro?

go ahead & take biogeochem, then struggle to get a B in biochem. be the typical premed