What to wear for internship interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Exalya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interviews are starting soon for an internship at a hospital that I'm hoping to get (88 clinical-experience hours packed into a month). I'm not sure what would be appropriate to wear, though. Very formal? Less formal? Do I dare ask...? Both undergrads and high school students are applying.

Thanks for any help >.>

Oh, yeah. I'm female. :p

Members don't see this ad.

I wore a skirt with a nice s/s sweater to mine... nothing like a suit for med school but along the same lines as what I would wear to church on Sunday.

for a guy I would recommend slacks and a oxford with a tie.

Suits, suits, suits!! Men or women! You can not go wrong with that. No need to get too "creative", people.

Interviewing for residency is just like interviewing for any professional job. A guy should never wear a tie without a jacket to a job interview unless he is applying for a position at the local Supermarket store.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends...Female or male?? Hot or not??

IDeally you should be a hot female showing some cleavage.

According to my pre-med advisor, the female equivalent of the male suit.

Well... it's not for residency or anything. It's the equivalent of a hospital volunteer position. I mean, if it was an interview for med school or residency it would be no question. That's not what I'm talking about.

Honestly I would say the equivalent to a guys nice slacks, button up shirt and maybe a tie...not sure what this would be for a female..

Dressy but not quite at the suit level.

Well... it's not for residency or anything. It's the equivalent of a hospital volunteer position. I mean, if it was an interview for med school or residency it would be no question. That's not what I'm talking about.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with a suit.

If you really don't want to do that, wear a slim, knee-length skirt with a professional long sleeve button-down shirt, hose, and low heels or nice flats. So basically a skirt suit without the jacket.

But really, what does it hurt to just wear the jacket with it? :)

What's wrong with asking your interviewer what attire is appropriate?

Well it's hard to say what you should wear without knowing your three sizes... j/k!:D

But I think for a position like this, a full (female)suit is too much. Maybe not the jacket and just the shirt?