What to wear for interview??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuggernutty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my last interview next week. My friend bought me this really nice dress, and he really wants me to wear it. I'm not sure if its appropriate for the interview. I've always just worn a black suit and 2'' heels. But he thinks I'll look better in this dress with tights and shiny patent heels. Tell me what you think!

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524446438854

Members don't see this ad.

I have my last interview next week. My friend bought me this really nice dress, and he really wants me to wear it. I'm not sure if its appropriate for the interview. I've always just worn a black suit and 2'' heels. But he thinks I'll look better in this dress with tights and shiny patent heels. Tell me what you think!

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524446438854

Doubt usually alludes to "it's probably not a good idea". The dress is nice but I don't think its interview appropriate (especially with shiny shoes). Stick to business attire and save the dress for a nice night out.

Definitely not, you'd stand out in a bad way.

Members don't see this ad :)

This is a joke right? You're going on a DENTAL SCHOOL INTERVIEW. Specifically, it's your interview, not his. Wear what you've been wearing, black suit and whatever shoes. That will make you look leagues more professional and mature then that.

As a female, I can tell you that this is completely inappropriate interview attire. Pretty much all the girls at my interviews were in pant suits or traditional skirt suits with pantyhose. This dress isn't even close to professional attire. 1) It's shiny and shimmery 2) The skirt portion flares out 3) It's sleeveless.

Personally, I would wear a suit with a collared shirt or a silk shell underneath.

you can't be serious? NO!!!!!!!!

That dress is not day wear. Unless your interview is in the evening, then it might be ok? lol

This had to be a joke. Then again I heard of someone showing up to an interview in a tank top and shorts.

Wear whatever's comfortable. Comfort really is the key to a good interview. I generally wear sweatpants and a hoodie.

People are either being sarcastic or jerks, but you should always wear formal business attire.

Let's see you in it first.

I'm kidding--sorta.

Dress appropriately, please.

what do you think of a white dress shirt and tie, along with dress pants and dress shoes [no suit]? how bad would this look on me?

has anyone here gone to a professional school interview dressed in this combo?

Last edited:
what do you think of a white dress shirt and tie, along with dress pants and dress shoes [no suit]? how bad would this look on me?

has anyone here gone to a professional school interview dressed in this combo?

Ive been to six interviews but I can't say that I've ever seen someone in that particular combination - might be just a coincidence.

Let's be realistic here.

Do you ever see someone wearing a dress to an interview? To work, sure, but to an interview? Never.

Don't risk your chances at dental school by the way you dress, please.

as a female, i can tell you that this is completely inappropriate interview attire. Pretty much all the girls at my interviews were in pant suits or traditional skirt suits with pantyhose. This dress isn't even close to professional attire. 1) it's shiny and shimmery 2) the skirt portion flares out 3) it's sleeveless.

Personally, i would wear a suit with a collared shirt or a silk shell underneath.

+1

I have seen 1 or 2 girls at interviews in dresses. but they were business dresses more like tina tahari dresses than a flared skirt that like. They also wore suit jackets still. If you want to wear a dress there are definitely ones that would be appropriate; this would not be one.

Don't care it's from Saks and that it probably costs an arm and a leg. Interviewers don't see your dress tag, and if they do see the tag, then you are putting on the wrong image of why dentistry. Wear your trusty suit.