What to wear for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

josh81883

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I've got my first interview scheduled at East Carolina on 9/21. Anybody who's interviewed in the past have any suggestions on what to wear? Suit? Dress shirt and slacks with or without tie? Khakis?

Members don't see this ad.

Before anyone else gets the chance to flame you, I'll say it: wear a suit. A dark one. Yes, you need to buy one if you don't own one.

aparecida said:
Before anyone else gets the chance to flame you, I'll say it: wear a suit. A dark one. Yes, you need to buy one if you don't own one.

I am truly amazed that all pre-med advisor's don't drill this into the head of every male applicant. There are no exceptions, everyone is expected to wear a suit to interviews. Bummer huh.

OP - you need to get one asap, it will be hard to get it tailored by the 21st, (also necessary, unless you amazingly have a perfect fit)

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely a suit. For your own sake, please don't show up there in khakis and a button down!

You should wear a suit and tie. It shows that you are a professional and understand the game.

I think interview clothing is an excellent way to show your individuality. I am going to say "screw the suit!" Wear something fun, like a bright button-down shirt with suspenders (in a different color of course), a bowtie, and some funky plaid pants. Top it off with some neat retro sneakers, hair gel, and some fun accessories, and your interviewers will be mad impressed by your fashion skillzzzz.

constructor said:
are you serious?

Pinkertinkle is one of the most serious posters on this board. She is never, ever, ever sarcastic. Never. Ever.

it's nice to know i'm not the only one using SDN for my own amusement... :D

Wear a suit, and whatever you do, do not wear a cheap suit, they stand out.
In addition, wear a tie you want to look professional.

I have to say, I know it's the right thing to do, but the whole suit and tie getup is so damn stupid. I mean, how the hell did a bib ever become a sign of professionalism and authority?!

jimmysmith said:
I have to say, I know it's the right thing to do, but the whole suit and tie getup is so damn stupid. I mean, how the hell did a bib ever become a sign of professionalism and authority?!
They're *ahem* pointers. ;)